Crosley should be arrested for selling junk

Just got a handful of records from a woman that sound incredible except they are destroyed by a junk Crosley her family bought her. (Inc. Decca Sammy Davis Jr. Porgy and Bess, Capitol Frank Sinatra etc.)

128x128noromance
mapman
In the golden age of vinyl 99% of record players out there were similar junk.

That % is probably actually lower these days. More like 98%.
I'm not sure I agree with these percentages, but I agree with the general observation: most turntables are junk. It's always been true.

Of the better turntables, many are not properly setup.
@rbtstock  Sigh. I know. I buy some new. Not many. Many new are remastered and compressed. I'd prefer to suck up a little noise and have a wonderfully open, huge sound-staged, natural sounding, minute detailed recording than what happens once the digital remastering makes that magic disappear.
It's about cartridge, not a turntable, but those portables always sucks. 

Vintage vinyl is a pure magic if the condition is fine, the advice to buy new vinyl is for those who prefer new music and new releases. 
chakster
It’s about cartridge, not a turntable ...
Oh no, not at all. Good LP playback requires a proper turntable, and a proper pickup arm, and a proper phono cartridge, and a proper phono preamp. They must each be suited to the others, and they must all be properly setup.

Vintage vinyl is a pure magic if the condition is fine, the advice to buy new vinyl is for those who prefer new music and new releases ...
Not necessarily. There are some exquisite new pressings that are well-done remasterings of classic LPs, such as some of what MoFi is doing these days.