Horn based loudspeakers why the controversy?

As just another way to build a loudspeaker system why such disputes in forums when horns are mentioned?    They can solve many issues that plague standard designs but with all things have there own.  So why such hate?  As a loudspeaker designer I work with and can appreciate all transducer and loudspeaker types and I understand that we all have different needs budgets experiences tastes biases.  But if you dare suggest horns so many have a problem with that suggestion..why?
128x128johnk
@atmasphere

... a plus is they [i.e.: horns] can play a lot louder ...

Indeed, and by a wide margin, but importantly it’s also how this ability (not least as a product of much higher sensitivity) translates into a sense of effortlessness not only at elevated SPL’s, but at more "sane" playback levels as well. There seems not to be much awareness or even conscious appreciation of this crucial trait in sound reproduction, ease, which is a shame given how much say it has into setting the music free as a musical event "just happening" in front of you.

Lastly, and at the opposite end of the SPL scale, horns very often excel with their sense of aliveness and "ignition" (also an overlooked trait) at lower volumes, which really gives them an advantage over the whole spectrum of playback level in this regard.
it’s also how this ability (not least as a product of much higher sensitivity) translates into a sense of effortlessness not only at elevated SPL’s, but at more "sane" playback levels as well.
+1 When we first got our Classic Audio Loudspeakers, this was one of the properties we noticed almost right away.

I have enjoyed owning numerous different designed speakers over the past 20+ years including MBL's for a long time which I really like.

I have found with some horn designs there are areas which they offer more similarities than differences sonic wise as mentioned above by a few in the last posts. Another area I like about my current speakers is being 107 dB so this opens up a new window of so many options of pairing up with lower powered amplification where this wasn't so with my MBL's to produce the sonic characteristics I was after.

So far I have tried a couple of low powered including SET amplification but to date prefer ARC Ref 75SE & REF6 pre combo as a whole package - so far hasn't left me missing anything where as others did. Are they the end all? no! but besides the sonic offerings neither pce produces much if any heat - nice looking to me - tubes provide lots of listening life. I just enjoy listening which in the end it's all about.

@dev

Holy cow!  Did you move on from your MBLs?  You were like my MBL-go-to-guy when researching those speakers.  You had them with the reference VAC amps, didn't you?

I have MBL 121 monitors, me chance for a helping of the MBL sound.  Though I mainly use Thiel speaker at the moment.  I know I'll never sell the MBLs as they are too unique (and I'd never get them for anything near the same price).

Did you sell your MBLs or do you still have them?  Which speakers are you using now?  Sounds like horns?