Speaker Placement Priority - wall clearance or perfect equilateral

I have a pair of Wilson Sophia 2’s, and after the hurricane (moved them temporarily on higher ground) I have not yet repositioned then properly.

if I do the perfect equilateral triangle thing, because my listening position is not super close, they will have to be spread wider, and this not have as much clearance from the side wall.  Or, I can get relatively close to equalizing the sizes of the triangle, with listening position a bit longer than the space between, and maintain more clearance from the side wall.

Current measurements:

Distance between speakers measured ocenter to center: 105 inches

Distance between tweeter and ear in the  listening position: 138 inches 

Distance between right speaker and right side wall, measured from the center of the top of the speaker: 29.5 inches 

The left speaker has no left side wall, it’s open To the adjoining room.

I don’t even think I can get to 138 inches of separation between the two speakers.  Without trouble I can move each speaker 10 inches further from center, which would put me at about 125 inches apart, and still 138 inches to the listening  position.

At that point, that right side wall is getting a little close... So measurements notwithstanding, where do you think the priority lies: perfect equilateral positioning or clearance of sidewall?

if you have any specific recommendations based on my measurements, that’s even better! You can see a picture of the set up in general in my virtual system page, though the current setup is slightly moved.

marktomaras
Very nice system you have Mark and your room diagram is great. Have you tried or considered moving the speakers farther away from the rear wall - say another ~2 feet out from the current position?

Dave
Dlcockrum, the speakers stop just before the rug, to move them fully onto the rug will be too much for the look of the room.  It is a living room & Audio room, so there has to be a balance.

several of you mention more toe in. I think that is what I am going to try. I always thought very moderate toe in was preferable. Coincidentally, I went to an audio event at a local shop this week, a demonstration of Wilson Alexia 2, fancy DCS digital stuff, and D’agostino amps. Peter McGrath from Wilson was there. The alexias were toed in to an extreme (by my eye) amount. Peter explained this to me, and it appears that you all are on the right track with advise on my system. More toe in!

perhaps this evening  I’ll kick them out 6 more inches, to shore up that equilateral disparity a touch, and toe them in so the tweeter axis crosses just behind my ears.

Dlcockrum, the speakers stop just before the rug, to move them fully onto the rug will be too much for the look of the room.  It is a living room & Audio room, so there has to be a balance.

several of you mention more toe in. I think that is what I am going to try. I always thought very moderate toe in was preferable. Coincidentally, I went to an audio event at a local shop this week, a demonstration of Wilson Alexia 2, fancy DCS digital stuff, and D’agostino amps. Peter McGrath from Wilson was there. The alexias were toed in to an extreme (by my eye) amount. Peter explained this to me, and it appears that you all are on the right track with advise on my system. More toe in!

perhaps this evening  I’ll kick them out 6 more inches, to shore up that equilateral disparity a touch, and toe them in so the tweeter axis crosses just behind my ears.

Toe-in is very speaker and room dependent. With no side walls, usually pointing at your head to flat out is good. Modern Magico's for instance are best with none (fight me! :) )

If  you are cramped, setting the speakers wide and crossing in front of your head may be a good compromise, if a little weird looking.

Really really cannot stress enough the importance of good room treatment.
I think that the equilateral triangle "rule" is a guideline...a starting point and that its "ok" to be further back at 138" depending on what you are ultimately trying to achieve.  As you know, moving the right speaker to the left, even a couple inches, can have a pretty big effect on the soundstage as can toe in and toe out as can moving the speakers back toward the rear wall a couple inches.  My suggestion is to find a musical cut that really showcases the elements you are ultimately looking for be it huge left right soundstage....or depth over width...or voice/instrument placement within (granted we would all like to have them all) and then have someone help you by doing slight speaker position changes playing that cut over and over. Then after you have found the perfect spot, live with it for a week, put some tape on the floor, make a few very tiny tweaks and if things get worse, you know where you started and if they get better, then all the better.