Need help selecting a system with Tidal streaming (Maybe MQA) and speakers for around $1k.

A’goners,

Need some help getting this temp system purchased. In about 2 weeks will be moving to a small home in SoCal, then in 6 months back to Pacific NW apartment most likely for 5 months. My room sizes will be small to medium, 10x12-14ft. This will be my system for these two moves then possibly relegated to a bedroom/listed on this site once I get to a permanent location.

My main goal is to limit my expenditure (as I will need to upgrade my old system once I have a permanent place) and spend around $1k for this system. I’m new to digital but streaming seems the way to go so I don’t have to drag around CDs or LPs and I don’t have any high rate digital files, nor do I plan on purchasing many during my traversing the West Coast. I plan on streaming Tidal and was hoping MQA if that fits in the budget and the system is able to perform well enough to discern the MQA difference. I know I could use a computer as a source for this but don’t currently own one and there goes the budget if I purchase a new laptop.

I understand the $1k can be quite limiting and could stretch it a bit but would really like to stay in that ballpark. I started looking at powered speakers, Vanatoo One, Paradigm Shift A2, Audioengine A2+, A5+, HD6 and passives like HDP6, Elac B6, QAcousics 3020, Kef Q150, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Warfedale Diamond 220 and Focal Aria 905 all because of size, price and recommendation. I haven’t listened to any of these except the Elacs. Not having the time now to listen to some/all these I am asking for some experienced, sage advice on the speakers and whole system direction. I am aware that stand mounted/bookshelf speakers will be a sacrifice in the deep bass( not a bass head anyway) but would like to have some accuracy and a good wide soundstage if possible.

That brings me to the source and I understand it’s based on if I go the powered vs passive speaker route. I’m not sure if it’s possible to go the passive speaker route and still get Tidal streaming and integrated amp for the budget stated. This is where I get stuck, so please respond with your ideas even if it’s to say it can’t be done for the budget I have.

BTW, I listen to mostly rock, jazz, blues, and classical in that order if that helps. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks greatly for your input. Please let me know if this is in the wrong category, since it was about speakers and source wasn’t sure where to post.

revreed
You could buy a receiver that has everything built in, and then buy some nice passive book self speakers like those Elac’s. Outlaw Audio makes a new awesome receiver RR2160 $799 with built in DAC and Phono mm/mc, FM/AM... Too many things to list check it out here under products tab.
www.outlawaudio.com

If you need a Great streamer/source try Oppo’s new Sonica. This would pair well with some self powered speakers.
www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac

Matt M
Thanks Matt I Will look at those links. I assume you use Oppo's app to access Tidal?

I have been in a similar predicament because my research sometimes takes me abroad for a semester or more. These days, streaming is the way to go, and the easiest way to do that now is to use a Chromecast Audio (if you have decent wifi). Its analogue output is more than good enough for a modest system, but it also has an optical digital output.
On the amplification side, any amplifier in the 2x50 watt range from mainstream manufacturers like Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon etc will be fine. Try to spend as little as possible on electronics, although digital inputs may be attractive in the long run. One thing that I have found attractive in a bedroom system is an auto on/off function. Not many amplifiers have it, but with it you don’t have to get out of bed to turn it on or off, and you can leave it somewhere out of sight. A class D amp usually runs cooler, and is lighter to transport. Here, active speakers often have an advantage as well.
Leave as much as possible for the speakers, as these are the part that actually defines the sound quality. Years ago I bought a pair a Rogers LS3/5a speakers for this purpose, but they were too heavy when I had to take them on a plane, so I later bought a pair of much lighter Wharfedale Diamond 9.0’s. My last fellowship was in Princeton, and these days you can only take one rather than two suitcases on such intercontinental flights (I am Dutch), so I had to downgrade again: I took my little Tivoli Audio Radio Two, plus a Behringer UCA 202 usb DAC connected to my laptop, and playing TuneIn internet radio and Spotify. Of course that was not audiophile quality, but much better than nothing, and quite enjoyable.