Preamp Recommendation

Hi 
I have just purchased Classe CTM-600 Mono blocks. They are currently running with an old ML 38s. I have tried using a VTL 6.5 III but had a hum problem. Tried everything but could not get rid of the hum. The 6.5 was not new so the pre it self could have had problems. 
I have an option to buy an Ayre KX-R at a great price. Question is will the Ayre a significant upgrade on the ML? Speakers are B&W 800 D. Sources include Clear Audio TT and a PS Audio Directstream Junior. 
Thanks
srafi
You know, I wish it wasn’t integrated rogue did this. They also made one without kt120’s. The intergrated one sounded horrible, it was the preamp that sounded bad. Now coupling the amp without the preto a seperate component as it was much better sounding!
I use the Towsend passive with either the Gamut 200 or CJ 350. I also have the Audio Flight which is  very good
I think there's a certain darkness and quiet of the Ayre designs which would work very well with B&W speakers, but should listen. :)
I like the 👀 of that gamut! As far as preamps passive is really good but I like a little gain and tube dynamics. Doesn’t anyone use tube amps? Just kidding!😊