atmasphere 6as7g output tubes.

Time to get some new tubes, I know atmasphere does not recommend nos tubes. I really have to say my amps would not sound the same without nos input tubes. I was wondering if there are any opinions regarding using nos or vintage tubes for output tubes.
toothman
I have used Sovtek and some other unknown brand of 6AS7Gs in a pair of AudioValve Baldur 70s for a number of years without trouble. I only recently discovered that they are/ have been made by RCA as well and was considering giving them a try. I was going to get them from Tube Depot/Tube Shop.
I would like to know if anyone has compared the Sovteck to the RCA 6AS7G's and what their finding were?
amp, I love Audio Valve equipment, they're well built and Helmut Becker was way ahead of his time with the ABR system. Great amps and preamps
I would like to know if anyone has compared the Sovteck to the RCA 6AS7G's and what their finding were?
Sure- in our circuits the American tube makes more power and is less reliable. This is particularly true of the GA variant which should be avoided entirely due to being particularly unreliable.

This is no small amount partially due to the fact that we employ a fixed bias scheme rather than self-bias. The American RCA is not spec'ced for fixed bias operation while the Russian (and Chinese) tubes seem to have no problem with this. But we have also found that the American tubes hog current more easily (which is why we suggest that they only be used in our gear if that gear is a MkIII series or later). In addition, the GA variant has a smaller grid heatsink, and since we employ Class A2 operation (where grid current can flow during part of the AC waveform at full power) the grid of such tubes can warp easily and cause an arc.

So we recommend if you want the best reliability, to use the Russian power tubes.