Distance/Screen SIze Formula?

My husband and I are debating between a 50" and a 60" flat panel television for our living room. Although the room is very long , it is not very wide and we would be veiwing the televsion from aprox.12 feet from the screen. Does 60" seem like too large a screen for that distance or can we go for it?We hate the feeling of sitting in the first few rows of a movie theatre.........hence our concern. Can anyone help?
lel
Chadnliz (I assume there are two of you, Chad & Liz),

If not for movies and good HDTV programming, why would someone post a query about video on AudiogoN? A query about casual viewing would be like me asking you which tube amp I should buy for listening to the news on my AM tuner. 60" at 12' is inadequate for movies or great HDTV like CSI:Miami -- I watch the program for its HD video and 5.1 audio, definitely not its content.

db
gee Don I dunno, maybe it has a thing to do with the fact it is a non-member housewife who admits confusion and probably googled a question that found its way to Agon.
Chad etc,

I think your reply is a bit demeaning to lel and to me. lel wrote that they did not like the first few rows of a movie theater, and seemed to be asking about video size to achieve an image they might find satisfactory in their living room. From what you can be deduce from her query how did you conclude whether she is a housewife, a neurosurgeon, or what?

db
It is pretty obvious I cant argue with your big brain so you win, I do feel that my "conclusion" is probably more correct then you might assume PHD or not.