Distance/Screen SIze Formula?

My husband and I are debating between a 50" and a 60" flat panel television for our living room. Although the room is very long , it is not very wide and we would be veiwing the televsion from aprox.12 feet from the screen. Does 60" seem like too large a screen for that distance or can we go for it?We hate the feeling of sitting in the first few rows of a movie theatre.........hence our concern. Can anyone help?
lel

Showing 3 responses by ellery911

most of the people on AVS forum seem to recommend the seating distance to be 1.5x the screen width (not diagonal I believe)..however I have read that people have elected distances as short as 1.1-1.2x sw.

maybe you should head to an AV store...move a chair front to back while viewing a large screen display and see what distance you feel most comfortable with.
I must be the etc. part of Don's reply being that I found Chadnliz' answer humorous. But...I really don't have much sympathy for the original poster being that 2 months ago they posted an extremely vague question and then after being prompted for further details, they never once responded to their own thread.

Sure...the poster may not be a housewife...but if she's asking about screensize TWO months after the last thread she started and then ignored then she should just be asking the guy at Magnolia who gets paid to have his time wasted by people like Lel.