1080p an issue for now?

Just did a side by side comparison of lcd, plasma, and rear projection technologies at best buy. LCD definitely had the best picture, followed closely by plasma. DLP and lcd rear projection weren't as sharp, and being even a little off angle was a problem. LCD doens't go big enough for my room (12.5 x 21.5, sitting 12-14 feet from the set), so I guess it's plasma. There are great deals on 50-inch plasmas right now, if I decide that's big enough, but of course it's not 1080p. The salespeople all say we won't see 1080p broadcast for at least 5 years. Is that actually true, or do I put up with all the problems of rear projetion and go that way? Front projection not an option in the room. Thanks. -Dave
dbw1
Dave,

I second the comment by Bmcleod that a 50" display at 12' - 14' is too small. I have been using a 61" display sitting about 10' feet away, and I just orderd a 71" display to replace the 61". Just my own perspective, but I would quickly become disenchanted and want a larger display than 50" at that distance.

Bruce
To touch on the original post - 1080p is a "nice to have" but far and away not the most important thing. For a screen in the 50" or 55", a solid 720p image is going to look outstanding. Even 1080p Blue ray scaled down to 720p is going to look really, really good.

Could you tell the difference 6-7 feet away between 720p and 1080p on a 50" plasma?

Maybe - But it's going to be subtle. But given the fact that right now there is hardly any 1080p content in existance, and that it's unlikely that more will be showing up any time soon... it makes the choice clear for a plasma.

720p is just fine, especially when $$ is a factor
I have last years Pioneer elite 50" plasma which is 1080i

I'm using a sony dvd player with upsampling and get a very nice picture. I recently saw a blue ray display and it looked great - maybe slightly more resolving

how much am I missing out? I wouldn't rebuy HD or BlueRay dvds but might rent them via something like netflicks

any suggestions
Read why you cannot trsut a big box retailer for PQ:

Read the SECRETS section

Best regards.

Bob Wood
www.GreatHomeTheater.com
Dbwl- A very good thread but IMHO the only thing that will be of significance to you is screen size. At twelve to fourteen feet you're wasting your money on 1080P. The benefits of 1080P are wasted unless you move (much) closer to the screen, or purchase a much larger screen (70+ inches).

I'm an early adoptor with a three year old Samsung 50-inch 720P DLP ($3499). When no one is home (yeah the wife) I rearrange the seating in the den to move within 8 feet of the set. Gloriosky!!! Just get the biggest screen you can afford. I'm going 70-inches plus before the next Olympics.

Russ