New Yggdrasil - First (and second) Impressions

Okay, so I’ve finally (on order over 2 months) received my Schiit Yggdrasil. The unit arrived in exactly perfect condition (i.e. well packaged).

Upon first (and second) listening through all sources/inputs, I would need a stethoscope to discern any difference among my current components and connectivity. I also cannot detect any difference using the phase inversion button.

I suppose the aforementioned is a testament to how good my current system (before/without Yggy) already sounds. :)

I can easily A-B test because the Yggy is hooked in via balanced and my other components are also hooked directly to amp via RCA or USB.

Also, obviously I have NOT let the unit "burn in" for days because I just got it, however, it has come to full operational temperature after being powered on continuously over 24 hours.

System configuration: (Yggdrasil > XLR > Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amplifier > Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers )
all cables blue jeans cables "best" offering

Emotiva ERC-3 CD player > AES/EBU > Yggdrasil
Oppo UDP-205 blue ray player > coax > Yggdrasil
Samsung SMT-C5320 cable box > optical > Yggdrasil
Gateway NV79 Windows 10 64-bit computer > USB > Yggdrasil

I’ll be patient, but if there are any suggestions to "try" in order to hear *some* audible difference, that would be great. Appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks.
128x128gdhal
Gdhal:

My Gungnir Multibit has improved substantially with break in time since I last posted.
Hopefully, yours should do the same.
Although the Oppo 105D is not at all bad on my system, the Gungy continues to distance itself from it.
@rvpiano

Appreciate the update. I'm hopeful to have a known (much) better set of ears than mine musician friend stop over later, specifically to "lend me his ears". Go John Lennon :)
Some changes are hard to hear. I had that experience with speaker cables, years ago. While many components need to have been powered up for awhile to sound there best, I’m personally skeptical of a break-in phenomenon with a piece of electronics. Having recently changed speakers, my experience may be of some value. The new speakers KEF LS-50s, have a slightly more extended top end than the Joseph Audio RM-7si Signatures they replaced. But the difference goes beyond that. I’ve decided that one of the qualities one pays for in better equipment is that the good stuff faithfully reproduces the really small stuff that lesser equipment simply swallows up, kind of the way a “noise gate” operates in a recording setup.  Some people call this “resolution,” others call it “micro dynamics” (which actually is a different quality that depends, in part, on the transmission of those really smal signals. Anyway, the LS-50s seem to do better at the little stuff than their predecessors.
so, the question is whether the rest of the elements in your reproduction chain are good enough at reproducing the little stuff to show the difference made by your new DAC (assuming there is one).
Regarding ptss’s suggestion of balanced power: don’t be so quick to dismiss it. I bought an Equitec 1.5kva balanced power system some time ago. It made an immediate and dramatic difference in the SQ of the Stereophile Class B CD player that I was using at the time. Much to my surprise it made an equally large difference in the quality of my now old, but “Class A” Sony SACD player, which was a far more expensive unit. Run straight out of the wall, the sound was somewhat two dimensional and suffered a problem typical of digital, “dirty” high frequency transients evident in the reproduction of such things as crash cymbals. There are technical explanations for this, which I won’t go into. I would think, at some price point, a digital product would not benefit from balanced power, but I don’t know where that point is. I’m generally skeptical of power tweaks, especially devices that feature all sorts of clever scientific-sounding names for their “features,” but balanced power is the real deal. The “derived ground” that balanced power provides seems especially important to digital systems, and the magnetic energy stored in the massive BPS transformer (80 lbs.) seems to be particularly helpful to the power supplies of subwoofers, that don’t use big, expensive electrolytics in their power supplies, giving them better transient performance and subjectively greater extension.
Final question: do you have a friend with a good system that you could use to do your comparison?
bcgator,
Anticipating an audition of the low-end Denafrips DAC on Monday, the Ares, and having followed this post with much interest given the varied opinions of adding the Yiggz to a system with OP's Oppo 205CD player, I think your take is spot on:  "if you haven't had your "wow" moment already [with the addition of the DAC], it's not going to happen."  I will admit that my Spatial Audio open baffle speakers took a very long time to break in, and we all understand the physical break in process of drivers, but I remain dubious of the "need" to breaking in DAC's or most electronics for longer than maybe a week or two.

I admit that my frame of reference, to your point, is that if I don't hear a perceptible benefit in SQ with new electronics within a pretty short period of time -- either from the first measure of music played ... to a week or so -- then it isn't going to happen.  

The Denafrips Ares I am getting on Monday is well broken in so I can forget about the "run-in" issue.  I will share my impressions on a new thread on AG.  

I have come to two conclusions on this discussion.  First, the Oppo variants are astounding musical CD players for not much coin of the realm.  My Oppo 103D was immediately more musical than my far more expensive Consonance tube DAC -- it was a "wow" moment from the first note of the music.  Forget about "run in", right out of the box, it was clearly more music.  Second, I think that to significantly improve on the sound of the Oppo 205D using an external DAC, you probably will have to spend $3K-$5K to get there.  However, for me, to spend an amount of money for this improvement in my ~$10K system is not in my view worthwhile... the Law of Diminishing Returns sets in.   

To reiterate, I think the Oppo CD's players are simply astounding in their ability to reproduce digital music and perhaps are the best price/performance audio components extant.     
Post removed