Would you like to know about Dunlavy mods?

I have done extensive mods to my Dunlavy SCIV's over the years. It has been quite a learning experience in component upgrades such as capacitors, resistors, inductors, internal sealing of the wood of the cabinet, nuts, bolts, internal wiring , external crossover isolation, speaker platorms, Sistrum platforms and baffles to minimize bass cacelation. I suppose that was an example of a run on sentence. If any one would like to know more please contact me.
theaudiotweak
TWL,

Thanks for the kudos. As you point out, the Zobels on Dunlavys are a definite mod to implement.

Audiotweek,

I know of 3 Dunlavy SC-IVa owners and one Althena owner who have implemented Zobels, and all are extremely pleased with the results. The sound is much cleaner and more musical. This mod does not have a downside. It is a true "win-win" circuit implementation.
Ferrous material in and around a circuit board can attract RFI.This is why one should use brass hardware which does not act as an antenna and also is less resonant
than the steel screws and mounting plates found in Dunlavy as well as other speakers.When I made hese upgrades in materials there an apparent improvement in clarity as cleaner upper mids and highs.
Ehider, where can I get these zobel networks or at least do some research on them? Thanks

Also, many thanks to Theaudiotweak for the update on mods on DAL loudspeakers!

Regards,

genesis168
Genesis,

Tell me your Dunlavy speaker, and I can give you the values for each driver. These networks go directly across the driver's speaker terminals. This is a 5 minute mod per driver (once they are removed, which you can soncially evaluate for yourself by doing only one speaker and comparing to the other.

In terms of doing research, you'll find more mis-information than good information on zobels. Where most people get confused is that a cululitive crosssover zobel circuits are much different than individualized zobel circuits wired across each and every speaker driver. Individualized zobel circuits are implemented to correct the phase angle shift that occurs at the speaker driver due to the inherent inductance within a speaker's voice coil. Once this phase angle is reduced by using this zobel circuit, the interaction between that driver and the amplifier is improved, which in turn improves detail and control (soncially).

The circuit that I am describing is a true "win-win" implementation, with no sonic or electrical downsides. It amazes me that more speaker manufacturers don't use these circuits. When you hear a pair of Dunlavys or Pipedreams improved (by their owners who implement these circuits) you start to wonder what else the speaker designer missed! In my experience there are MANY "Class A" rated speakers that can be improved upon with tweaks such as this.