What makes you build a system around an amplifier?

Serious question. I almost always care about the room and speakers first, then build around that. However, this is not the only way to do things.

If you have ever insisted on keeping your amplifier, but were willing to change everything else around it, please let us know why. What made an amp so outstanding in your mind that it was worth making it your center piece. Imaging? slam?

Be specific about the amp and speakers or other gear that you shuffled through.

Thanks!

E
erik_squires
Hi Erik. Well, I'm sure you know you and I typically disagree on all things audiogon forum related, nevertheless, I'll engage in this thread. :)

I purchased a Musical Fidelity M6si in November 2015 and never looked back. I'm pleased enough with its performance - and more importantly overall value - that I chose to build around it.

Might I upgrade the amp at some point in the future, sure. But as to your question why I retain and build around it, simple; value and performance.
Hi @gdhal - I definitely am not looking for agreement, so much as understanding. Different audiophiles seek out solutions differently. I think the following statement is true:

Some audiophiles build their systems around their amps. Some around their speakers.

So long as we agree that is a true statement, then I think the question of WHY is interesting.

What I mean by "system building" are people who fall in love with an AMP's sound over all. I like my amps, but I'm not so enamored with them I would swap my speakers to keep them. I would be much more likely to fall in love with a pair of speakers, and do anything I could to get them to sound their best.

Best,

E
I most definitely agree that the statement "Some audiophiles build their systems around their amps. Some around their speakers." is true.

Further, I agree with you that "why" is interesting.
The only amp that I would build a system around is the Lyngdorf 2170. It is a one box solution and has great room correction software. My most loved component.