LP's... Do they sound better now than 30 yrs ago?

Thinking about getting back into LP's. Do they sound better than they did 30 yrs ago? I remember , no matter how well you cleaned them and how well you treated them they always( after 1 or 2 plays) sounded like crap! Pops and clicks. Scratched easy. Are they better made? Thicker? I don't want clicking and popping over my system!                Thanks for your input!

128x128rsa
The clicking and popping of sounds coming from LP's is fun and bring back my youthful days.  The late 50's, 60's and 70's pressing are far excellent compared with the sucky digital sounds of today's.  The secret behind those pressing is the use of analog tube, darlington transistor and FET's.  I got a 60 years classical LP's using Hi-Fi definition sound fantastic compared with my latest Adele Hello using digital format.
Agree wholeheartedly that well recorded and well cared for vinyl can sound fantastic.  Very fortunate where we live to have an excellent used record store with multiple genre inventories, almost all of which are typically in great condition.  

As a VPI 16.5 user, I'm interested in what brand ultrasonic cleaner would represent a significant improvement in record cleaning technology and results? Suggestions?  Cost?  Thank you for any input.  
The newer lp's are just an lp processed with digital sound, so you won't get the same sound as old lp's that were recorded analog with reel to reel tape.  If you don't want pops,clicks, and wear and tear, stick with compact discs.  lp's sounds degrade a little with each play.

I have found that they sound much better now than they did in the 70s and 80s. That's because I have better equipment to listen. A good turntable and cartridge makes a huge difference!  Especially compared to what I had in college. 
And that's even for vintage records. A good cleaning and they sound terrific, even if 50 years old.