ESS and Heil air-motion tranformer - any thoughts?

These seem like interesting speakers, has anyone on this board had any experience with the ESS line of speakers?

A.M.T. description:

"The Heil diaphragm, made of soft, quiet mylar to reduce background noise, is bonded with conductive aluminum strips. It is equivalent in surface area to a conventional cone type eight inch midrange driver, but is accordion-folded down to a compact one-inch band for better point source dispersion. The low mass diaphragm is suspended in a massive magnet structure concentrating an intense magnetic field around the diaphragm.

When a signal passes through the aluminum strips, the bellows-like motion of the folded "pleats" squeezes air out five times faster then the air motion of a conventional cone driver. The virtual "instant acceleration" provides high definition, crisp transients, and overall spaciousness with superb dynamic range. This type of performance distinguishes the heil from all other transducers."

http://www.essspeakers.com/
128x128dawgbyte
Many years ago I worked for an ESS dealer. I was impressed with the the ESS speakers at that time. Amazingly clear highs, really good bass for their size. The Heil air-motion transformer reminds me very much of a good ribbon tweeter. It would be fun to compare them to my current speakers.
Back in the mid-1970's, I worked for a high-end audio dealer in Seattle named ElectriCraft (long since defunct) which carried the ESS / Heil speakers. They produced very good sound for their time, but were VERY inefficient. To get loud SPL's from them, we used the PhaseLinear amp (Bob Carver's first commercially successful power amp, which was affectionately known as the "FlameLinear" for its tendency to overheat and "flame out"). The PhaseLinear amp produced 300-350 wpc (immense power output for that time), and it had barely enough power to drive the Heils to high volume levels.
It has been quite a while since I've heard the original ESS AMT speaker. I recall that the Heil driver sounded quite good, but the bass response did not match up.

At this year's THE SHOW (next door to CES) I heard a current version of a speaker with the Heil driver and it sounded pretty good for the money. The technology is still alive.