KT88 tubes for Monos

Hi,
I have a set of Ayon Audio mono's that use KT88 tubes.  Over time I've purchased their importers version of the KT88's that are 200 bucks a pop.  Can I use a different tube?  I think I'm paying premium cash for the Ayon name on the tube.

Thanks.
jbbikerider
Yeah…if you tour (although most bass players don't) you better take extra tubes along, especially in that KT150 amp I now am certain somebody will build due to the popularity of this thread (!). The SVT has to get the award for longevity as they're STILL used all over the place, although the full size 8X10 cab is a real pain to haul around. We use a 4X10 "half stack" at some of my mixing gigs and that thing is way more reasonable and sounds fine.  My PF series "flip top" rig got a LOT better after the 15 loosened up, and the thing is a conversation piece for sure…and inexpensive…6L6 tubes in my '61 Bandmaster were my first tube experience and I'm not sure I EVER changed those…for years…and I hauled Twins Reverbs around…too damn heavy...

Oy, the Twin Reverb. God I hate that amp---so bright, piercing, and loud. I lost some of my hearing due to that damn amp. I haven't seen an SVT half stack, but that's a great idea. With micing, who needs 8-10" drivers? The two worst things I had to help move in a traveling band were a Hammond B3 with Leslie, and a full-size acoustic upright piano (not a spinet). I was in my 20's, and my back could take it back then. Now, no way. But it's no longer necessary anyway, electronic keyboards have gotten so good.

The only heavy part of my drum gear is the hardware case, and it has wheels. Thankfully, lightweight cymbal and hi-hat stands are again in style, though I never switched from my original 60's "Ringo" flat-base ones, which I still use. The big stadium players still use the ridiculously-overbuilt heavy hardware, but they have roadies.

@skipping 

What areas did you find the Fuller tubes better than the RAM KT88s? The Fullers are over $200+ more and I wonder how reliable they are especially how Roger matches his tubes.

Wonder how they stack up to the Sophia's new Coke Bottle KT88s or TJ Full Music?

Wig
Wig

I've never done a direct comparison between the RAM's and the Fuller's. When I bought the Music Reference RM-200 in 2001, they came  with the RAM KT-88.   A couple of years later I got the tube rolling bug and tried the Sovtek's, which were alright, but not better.  Read about the Gold Lion's and tried them and loved them.  Used those for quite a few years (two sets) until I read, here on this forum, of a gentleman who spoke of the Canada Fuller's. Because they were pricey, I hesitated for a while. But eventually I bit the bullet and tried a set.  Never regretted it.  Sound wise, compared to the RAM's and the Gold Lion's?  It does it all better, from top to bottom is the best way I can describe them without the long winded wording that reviews use, which I am not good at anyway.  I only know what I hear, and the difference was immediate.  I can't comment on reliability.  Only that I play my system nearly every day and I've had these tubes for at least 3 or 4 years, if not longer.  Never had a problem.  In fact, I bought another set. Not that I needed it, but just to have them on hand.  Besides the prices were creeping up for some reason.  I wish I could tell you more about them, but all the info I could find, I already mentioned in my previous post above.  

I can't shed any light on the Coke Bottle's or the TJ's, because I have never tried them.  And the rolling tube bus stopped when I heard the Canada Fuller, which is where I happily got off.

Skipp       
Since switching to a single ended pentode Dennis Had amp I've found it to be FAR more revealing of tube types, including the rectifier tubes…it came with a set of Gold Lion KT88s but recently I swapped 'em out for some old but barely used Sovteks, and damn…the Sovteks (no longer made it seems) sound beautiful, and they were inexpensive.