Streaming vs traditional

My son is talking about the "lossless" audio one can stream.  I have a good collection of CD's as well as a couple of TT and LP's with more than than I should invested in both.  (some may say too much, some may say not enough)  Anyway, thought I would come to a relative neutral forum to ask for reviews on the streaming audio.  It kinda reminds me of the Bluray and Betamax wars of years past-no standard version/format yet.  I guess it's relatively in it's infancy with lots of software and format devices on the market.  I love the convenience of CD's and the warmth and ambience of analog.  So-what's up with the streamers?
handymann
@willemj and all other MQA non-believers.
I suggest you get a high quality streamer/server/DAC like the Lumin S1 and tell me you don't think MQA songs don't sound better than their Redbook versions.  Please don't use a Bluesound 2 as your basis of comparison as the Bluesound is the weak link in the your comparison chain.  It's like saying MQA and non-MQA songs sound exactly the same via my $200 Meridian Explorer 2 MQA DAC, so therefore MQA doesn't sound better than Redbook.

IMO, Tidal MQA tracks sound comparable to the HDTracks hi-rez version, which is why I haven't purchased anything from HDTracks since MQA became available on TIDAL. BTW, the MQA album selection on TIDAL is growing rapidly, which will likely spell the end of HDTracks.
I can't believe this thread went to global warming denials.  Flat Earth next?

Anyway, get the best of both (audio) worlds:  rip your CDs, manage them with Roon, and integrate a Tidal subscription.
Right? 'plants like CO2, more is better!' wtf?

Also, I just started streaming tidal on my oppo 105 and it sounds incredible. I really was doubtful, but man, their high res is high res! I think it might even sound better than the CD version of an album. They must use some kind of special mastering/processing or something..
Deezer offers 36 million songs available to stream via Sonos in 16/44 FLAC.

I’ve been using Sonos Connects, connected to separate DACs to stream Deezer for a few years. I’m very happy with the sound quality. Big improvement when I changed from RCA’s to digital out on the Connect to a separate dac with good jitter control.

I was considering having my Connect modded by Wyred for Sound, but I think it’s limited returns if you have a good external DAC.

Anyways, wanted to mention Deezer and Sonos combo. Been very happy with the quality and selection.
Neal here from Sound Science, I retail audio and design and build the Music Vault music servers.  There are a number of comments about how the Sonos connect and Squeeze box sound identical to the CD in comparison.  I tend to agree that the sound is very close.

A  Music Server is the next level or two up from a streamer at least in the case of the Music Vaults.  
When you rip your CD collection to the Music Vault and play it back through a good external DAC it will sound better most of the time than playing that CD from a CD Player even a really great player or transport.  The Music Vaults do cost much more than the streamers mentioned so it may not be a fair comparison.  For some one who wants the best sound available though the Music Vaults offer world class performance.  They also playback from any internet radio source like Tidal or Spotify.  

Up-sampling was mentioned as a positive and I would like to take exception to that statement as well as clarify.  
When up-sampling from a server like the Music Vaults it will cause poor recordings to sound more listenable and good recordings to loose some of their musical  texture.
Up-sampling at the server end just involves averaging the additional samples together which are the same samples in the 44.1K  material.
As an example if you up-sample 44,1 k to 88.2 k then you get 2 of the same sample with in the same time period so instead of 1 sample per 1/44.1K  seconds you get two of the same every 1/88.2K seconds.
No new information is presented but it does seem to help lousy recordings sound a bit smoother and a good recording gets smoother too but it doesn't help the sound in fact it looses something I like to refer to as musical texture.  There are lots of discussions about this out there you can look up.  
Some Dacs do have a better way of up-sampling so I am not poo-pooing this for the Dac end necessarily but I am for the server end.
My personal experience though is up-sampling Dacs have not sounded as good to me as non up-sampling.  

One of the reasons the Music Vaults sound better than a CD Player is when they rip your CD the program that does this doesn't have to do things in real time and reads the data until it is certain what the correct bits are.  For a CD in perfect shape it takes very little time usually 2.5 to 3.5 minutes but for CDs that are not perfect it can take much much longer.
Reading the bits correctly is a big advantage and the Music Vaults all play from Ram which is virtually jitter free.  
I have also found that playback from an internal drive sounds better than streaming from a remote location.   I am not saying streaming from the internet or a Network attached drive doesn't sound good, it does but in AB comparisons where the music is stored locally on the Music Vault it sounds better than music stored remotely.

This has been my experience since I started building Music Vaults.
if anyone wishes to speak with me directly I can be reached at [email protected] .