Do I have to spend $4000 plus to get a better sounding speaker than GET model 7 ?

I have owned a pair of Golden Ear Technology 7's speaker for almost 3 years. I think they sound very good in my current set-up.  I bought them unheard based on the rave reviews they received at CES 2012. My concern is that if I was to invest in a speaker that is $3500-$4000, it may prove to be only marginally or fairly better. I am not saying that the GET's 7's are the best bargain in audio at $1395.  My experience with them is they are  very accurate with low distortion, but don't throw a particularly wide or deep soundstage. 

I have considered( not necessarily auditioned) Revel F-206;  Focal Aria 936;  Paradign F85;  PSB T-2';  Ryan 630;  B&W CM9S   Dynaudio X-34;  Duevel "Venus"  Audio Physic Sitara 25 and Tempo 25  All of the indicated speakers (except AP and Duevel) fall in the $3000-$4500 retail price range 

ProAc floor standers are off the scope in price, (often, even used)   Anything I buy will be used, because California sales tax is 8.5%,  and I can stretch my dollars buying used. 

Any recommendations are welcomed especially if based on you own experience with a particular speaker or brand.

Thank you, S.J     

sunnyjim
Yes, you can get better -  including in the GET line: the Triton 3+ for $2500 or the Triton 2+ for $3500. Assuming your front end and amplification are up to it, either of these GET speakers will give you everything you like about your present ones but much more, + better bass, transparency etc plus great soundstaging. And they're easy to drive. I still wonder about you room set up since you found your 7s edgy at one point, something they definitely were not when I heard them. The $3k-5k range is crowded with good speakers.

Twoleftears: "Different strokes for different folks. I heard the GE 2's against B&W CM10's a while ago, and there was no comparison for me. B&W much greater truth-to-timbre on acoustic instruments. GE's sounded like (good) HT speakers to me. More recently, in another shop, I heard the B&W's against other brands, and preferred Harbeth, Sonus Faber, and Paradigm (Persona) over the B&W's. YMMV."

Different strokes indeed. We auditioned all the  speaker brands on your list and seriously considered the CM10s, but chose the GoldenEar Triton 2+ as the most musically satisfying over all and biggest bang for our particular buck - especially for the large scale classical music we primarily listen to. The spousal unit is a classical musician, I'm a former choral singer and organist. I think the Tritons would be killer in a HT application but we are totally uninterested in that. We fell in love with them because Reiner and the CSO sounded fab through them. We actually auditioned the GET speakers last because we had a home theater prejudice against the Tritons - an article by a dealer who loves classical persuaded us to give them a try. BTW, I have not heard the original 2s, only the "+" version.

Different strokes and all that.
The number one reason why speakers can start to sound edgy, barring system incompatibility, is over driving the receiver or amp.  The receiver or amp being used is CRUCIAL to the conversation, and could well be why rackon preferred the GET speakers while others haven't.

Thank you to all have responded so far. 

Addyson 815  who also owns  the GET model 7  articulated my major complaint about the speaker......they don't convey the feeling and  emotion of real music....."  For me that nails the point.  However, I am not going to chase around looking at British speakers, like Harbeth, Spendor, ProAC. etc  which many members have recommended for their ability to convey "the emotion and feeling of music"   First, they are usually more expensive than $4000, and as good as they are, they could possibly be deficient in other areas like dynamics.  I listen to mostly classic rock and rock jazz fusion, and some classical.   

For those who ask:  my equipment: is a Conrad Johnson PV-14SE pre-amp; a BAT VK-200 amp (100RMS) Ayre CX-7e mp CD player;

Cables:  Grover Huffman EX series speaker cable. Harmonic Technology "Truth Link" IC to CD player and pre-amp.

Acoustic Zen Tsumai Plus power cable to Ayre CD;  two Pangea  AC-9 MKII  power cables for the pre-amp and power amp; and a custom Signal Audio IC: (balanced to unbalanced) between BAT amp and CJ pre-amp.

Thanks,  SJ.

Post removed 
Sunny, yep, I’ll agree that with the excellent electronics that you have, you really are missing out with your present speakers. There are many good speakers to choose from with a $4000 budget that will put a pair of $1400 speakers to shame.

Kosst has mentioned Focal, and they would be worth an audition, along with some others if visiting brick and mortar stores is possible, bringing along your favorite music.

I would again suggest Ascend Acoustics. I’ve owned their Sierra 1 and Sierra-2 with the Raal Tweeter. They are amazing and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Raal is a leader in ribbon tweeters and makes them by hand. They have superior vertical dispersion and are so accurate, the imaging is off the charts.(I have no affiliation with Ascend, but have become a big fan) My Sierra 2 handled the Parasound Halo A21 just fine.

The Ascend Tower takes this to another level with a superior midrange driver and an upgraded Raal tweeter in comparison to the Sierra 2. I haven’t heard the Tower yet, but any owner/reviewer who’s compared them to the Sierra 2 has been wowed.   Plus, being internet direct, they are priced at around $2800, depending on finish options.

The only way to audition is to try them out in home on a 30 day trial. You would have to eat the shipping charges if you return them, but I guarantee they will trounce the GET 7. I would suggest starting by phoning Ascend Acoustics and explaining your situation. Their website has the contact information.