Greatest Rock Drummers

Given the subject line many names come to mind such as  Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, Phil Collins and Carl Palmer but, is Neil Peart the greatest rock drummer of all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
128x128falconquest
Ian Pace stated that Ringo Starr was his favorite drummer while he was learning to play (or something similar). He mentioned that Ringo was a swinging drummer like no other. I've always admired Ringo Starr for his musicality, his unpredictability and as a reliable time keeper (which is under-estimated). I'm just not a big Beatles or Stones guy. However, Charlie Watts is also an excellent drummer. So who's the greatest rock drummer, the one you like the most.
There are chops.

There is musicality (contribution to the song)

There is time keeping.

Chad Smith has all three. Porcaro, Keltner, Bonham and many greats had all three. Ringo had two but he was exceptionally good at two. Most drummers are at most exceptional at two out of three. It is rare to have all three in balance and even rarer to be exceptional at all three.

The drummers that get the gig tend to be good at musicality and time keeping - chops is not in high demand. Ringo is proof that musicality and time keeping is more important than chops! Ringo doesn’t seem to even count to get things right he just listens and learns - an intuitive thing - he plays by feel and what he did worked fir the Beatles. Steve Ferrone is another great player but he will count carefully and can read music and can adapt his style. Session musicians often are skilled at adapting their style of playing which is altogether a whole other level of musicality!!!

Perfectly put, shadorne. Here’s a little story illustrating a related point:

I was hired for a session, the recording of a single song for the soundtrack of a low-budget movie. I had worked with the producer before, so he knew what he was getting. The song was a simple Pop/Rock thing, the focus on the vocal and lyric (sung by a Grandson of one of The Lennon Sisters!), and I played what I considered appropriate. The producer kept asking me to play more like Keith Moon, even instructing me where he wanted "fills". I said "That would walk all over the vocal". He said "Oh, I don’t care about that". !!!!!

I put in a little more (as much as I could bring myself to), but it wasn’t enough for him. So he ended up doing a take with himself on drums (he has been a pro drummer), and submitted that take to the movie’s director, who rejected the track! A take with my playing was submitted, and approved. Point made.

bdp24, I've got a fever and the only cure is more cow bell! (teehee) I believe that those in a soundtrack situation could benefit from what Broadway musical pit drummers are doing. Pit drummers need to stay four or more measures ahead of the orchestra, conductor and what's taking place on stage. They get too little credit.
Ringo was the first rock drummer who turned the skins into a musical instrument. No one else would have come up with the concept of placing towels on the drums to get a soft muffled sound on Come Together. Listen to the perfect fills in Day In The Life. Listen to the very spare drumming on Penny Lane. Paul was a very good (but not the best) bassist, John was an average, if that, musician. George a reasonably good but not great guitarist. But they were among the best stylists on their respective instruments in rock history.
When I listen to music, I don’t want to listen to anyone’s technical chops. I want all musicians to serve the song---the musical destination of the imagination and the heart. When that requires technical skill--less than 20 percent of the time-- only then do I want to "hear" technical skill .
Note--Jim Keltner, Levon Helm and the like understood that.
Although I was a Who fan--Keith was often too predictable and created drum space for himself in songs whether the song called for excessive drumming or not. On the other hand, he was a very impactful and spectacular drummer on others (e.g. Baba O’Riley).
Ringo was simply virtually always tasteful and tuneful and often quite innovative.