RIP John Bonham

Remembering John Bonham today on the 37th anniversary of his passing. I'm posting this since there is a current discussion about him in the Forum.

http://loudwire.com/led-zeppelin-john-bonham-dies-anniversary/

He and Buddy Rich were my main influences as a drummer.
128x128lowrider57
RIP John saw Zep three times in the 70's Bonham along with Keith Moon the two best drummers i ever saw.
I can't believe it has been 37 years ....I had my ticket to see Led Zeppelin in 1978 but the tour was canceled. Good to great drummer but from what I have read ; a real A hole
"Good to great drummer but from what I have read ; a real A hole."

By most accounts of his a-holeness, it was driven by his missing being away from home. 
Its no big secret that the hardships of incessant, lengthy tours often drives people to the easily accessible escapist use of alcohol and drugs. 
Hardly excusable, but an underlying reason why bad things can happen to otherwise good people/great drummers. 

If one wants to gain perspective on a bonafide, card carrying a-hole who also happened to be a great drummer, seek out a documentary on Ginger Baker entitled "Beware Of Mr. Baker."  I believe it was aired on Showtime. Mr. Baker's son does not have the same fond memories of his father that Jason Bonham has.  I have everything that Mr. Baker has put out post-Cream. The issue of his questionable humanity doesn't matter. Talent doesn't prejudice on whom it's delivered. 

Bonham's influence is incontestable regardless of what anyone thinks about his skills as a drummer and/or lack of them. Most of the sh*t that has been written about Zep, and virtually every other rock band is poorly written, high school level drivel. Robbie Robertson's book was a tough read, best taken in short bursts because, while interesting and fun to read, he ain't no author. 

On point...

Zeppelin was an incredible band. Hard to believe that 37 years have passed since Bonham died. I saw them 5 times at Madison Square during their 1977 tour, same seats every night. Wow.  I got chills. 
Oblgny  -  I also '' read '' that as well about Ginger Baker who had an ego the size of Kansas. You know .....I also read that their manager ; James Grant was an even bigger one. Yes, both were very talented musicians who no doubt have influenced the generations since them. But Ginger baker was more of a jazz drummer from what I recall.   
I also saw Zep at MSG in 1977. 10th row or thereabouts. They were firing on all cylinders that night.