RIP John Bonham

Remembering John Bonham today on the 37th anniversary of his passing. I'm posting this since there is a current discussion about him in the Forum.

http://loudwire.com/led-zeppelin-john-bonham-dies-anniversary/

He and Buddy Rich were my main influences as a drummer.
128x128lowrider57
"Good to great drummer but from what I have read ; a real A hole."

By most accounts of his a-holeness, it was driven by his missing being away from home. 
Its no big secret that the hardships of incessant, lengthy tours often drives people to the easily accessible escapist use of alcohol and drugs. 
Hardly excusable, but an underlying reason why bad things can happen to otherwise good people/great drummers. 

If one wants to gain perspective on a bonafide, card carrying a-hole who also happened to be a great drummer, seek out a documentary on Ginger Baker entitled "Beware Of Mr. Baker."  I believe it was aired on Showtime. Mr. Baker's son does not have the same fond memories of his father that Jason Bonham has.  I have everything that Mr. Baker has put out post-Cream. The issue of his questionable humanity doesn't matter. Talent doesn't prejudice on whom it's delivered. 

Bonham's influence is incontestable regardless of what anyone thinks about his skills as a drummer and/or lack of them. Most of the sh*t that has been written about Zep, and virtually every other rock band is poorly written, high school level drivel. Robbie Robertson's book was a tough read, best taken in short bursts because, while interesting and fun to read, he ain't no author. 

On point...

Zeppelin was an incredible band. Hard to believe that 37 years have passed since Bonham died. I saw them 5 times at Madison Square during their 1977 tour, same seats every night. Wow.  I got chills. 
Oblgny  -  I also '' read '' that as well about Ginger Baker who had an ego the size of Kansas. You know .....I also read that their manager ; James Grant was an even bigger one. Yes, both were very talented musicians who no doubt have influenced the generations since them. But Ginger baker was more of a jazz drummer from what I recall.   
I also saw Zep at MSG in 1977. 10th row or thereabouts. They were firing on all cylinders that night.
garebear...

Zep's manager Peter Grant was a HUGE a-hole but he was also responsible for getting Zep their fair shake of the revenues. (Whether or not that was good for fans is another thing.)

Ginger Baker's career has been jazz - lasting far longer than the-blink-of-one's-eye that his gig with Cream/Blind Faith did. It would no doubt irk him immensely to read his own obituary which will cite Cream/Blind Faith as his most notable efforts. Personality aside, he remains an impressive musician. 

In that documentary about Baker I've mentioned, when asked his opinion on Bonham's playing he said, "He couldn't swing a sack."  Eric Clapton, who pretty much loathed Baker from day one and was appalled when Steve Winwood asked him to join Blind Faith,
(without Clapton's knowledge) remarked that Baker was the most melodic drummer he ever played with. That's pretty high praise from a guy most people respect as a great musician, particularly regarding a guy he couldn't stand to be in the same room with. 

No, Bonham didn't necessarily "swing" like a jazz drummer because, well, he wasn't a jazz drummer. He was a ROCK drummer, one with a style that many drummers cite as their inspiration for getting behind a kit in the first place. I've seen The Who with and without Keith Moon a few times each. Zep's decision to disband after Bonham's death was the absolute right course to take. With four they were one, alone they are zero - which is not by any means a slight on the remaining members. Mick Taylor's brief stint with the Stones made them a better band, with Keith noting that having another great musician onstage made everyone better. 

It’s too bad that Bonham didn’t live long enough to perform post-Led Zeppelin. It would have been interesting to know if there was another side to his signature style; I would hope he would not have used his 26" kick drum (a major influence on Led Zep's sound).

As for side projects, he was still playing LZ beats, including some unnecessary bass triplets...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZ9llTB-vg

This should interest Bonzo fans; I always suspected he learned some licks from Carmine Appice...
http://www.johnbonhamdrums.com/