Magico S5 vs KEF Blade 2 vs TAD Evo One vs YG Kipod II Sig w/pwr bass

Opinions please. All are Used and are the same very good price but The Y&G are $4000 less which is nice.

KEF Blade 2

TAD Evolution One

Y&G Kipod II Signature w/Pwr Bass module

Magico S5

Would love your thoughts any thoughts on any please! Being all used and in good shape these are all within $500 of each other used price but Y&G and those had highest list but know to be good used deals because they are pretty serious speakers.

I think as far as used speakers in the great value - now less than 1/2 price but still new enough to provide great performance these are some different but pretty serious speakers. Please any and all feedback totally welcomed and is super helpful 

Source: Bricasti M1SE DAC 

Preamp: Parasound JC2 Pre

Amp: Pass Labs X350.5 Amp

IC: Darwin TRUTH Balanced

SC: HiDiamond D8 w/Furutech

PC: HiDiammond P3 (7)

AC: HiDiamond HDX2 

Transport: microRendu 1.4 and full suite of UpTone Audio Premium Power Supplies (2)x LPS-1 and (1) JS-2 LPS - (2) Regens - ISO and Amber and custom Canare DC cables for all / Tellarium Q Black Diamond USB cable and Curious Regen Link

Room is 12 x 23 w/Cathedral Ceilings - 15 Foot a peak 

Music: Assorted Music no metal or loud hard rock anymore really - not much Large Scale classical either but everything else.

Likes: Transparency- Delicate-linear-Dynamic-Fast - high resolution-microscope but not sterile not etched or lifeless - I know there is a fine Line here but I'm looking to walk it and come out on the right side - but real see through into the music - transparent to the source because I love my DAC - there more everything else sound more like my DAC the closer I'm getting to where I want to go as close as possible - image and sound stage lover - tight bass - hate flab - like speed and transparency as my selection choices might speak to

Coming from: Rethm Saadhana V3 speakers which I love and are incredible but want to try something else. 

Love any feedback about matching or equipment matching or one or multiple of these - what you heard at shows or whatever. Love more Info on these.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Shadome - thanks for the response. Do you think Magico S5 will be bass flabby? I don't know myself thats why I'm asking -thanks for the taking time to respond. 
Wow this is a tough one, these are all good speakers here is my take as someone who knows all of these speakers:

1: Tad Evolution is a good speaker transparent not particularily great in the bass good sound stage never was blown away by the TADs includigng the big models.

2: YG in all the shows we have heard them they tend to sound okay most of the time, we did the New York Audio show in 2012 with the big Kef Blades on an all Chord setup about $125k  worth of gear and heard the $107 Sonja setup on all Solution a $400k setup and came away with the Kef Blades at $32k sounded just as good, here the Sonja's did sound very good, heard an old Kipod demo with dual Krells years ago and that demo they did sound very good. 

In comparison to the other speakers The YG are not as transparent. We heard the $25k 2 way model at the last New York audio show and was not impressed at all. You have to hear them for yourself. 

3: Magicos are a love hate speaker, they are very well made, have good bass but not super deep, good sound staging, to my ear they are sterile and lack musicallity, but others love em. 

Personally I would take a Focal Sopra over these, as well as used Rockport.  I would also recommend that you listen to the new Persona 5f very transparent, very holographic, with surprisingly deep bass, nice size and nice looking.

Sometimes buying new will get you a better sound for less or the same money as buying a used expensive speaker.

As a Kef Blade dealer I do think we are biased. Howver, they are really amazing when setup with good equipment, your Pass and Briscati stuff are good, I would ditch the Parasoud preamp it is okay it is not a great preamp no matter what the reviews say, we had a full Halo reference setup with JC 2 and JC 1 monos, Electrocompaniet gear sounded way better for not much more money.  We have a demo set of Blades with cosmetic damage at the same price as a pair of Blade 2 if you are interested. Damage is one scratch and the speakers need a new base. 

Look for a BAT VK 52  or a used Pass preamp, if you want a great sounding preamp a bit more tuby Cary SLP 98. Personally we much prefer a tube front end with a solid state amplifier.

Another option for you would be to listen to these speakers at a dealer with the proviso that you would purchase a dealer demo if they have one, you would be surprised how many dealers might have a slightly dinged up product that they would sell for the same price or nearly the same price at what many people sell used products for and you would get a full warranty and the service and support of a good dealer. 

Dave owner
Audio Doctor NJ
Thanks so much Dave!

Thats funny I actually have not pulled the trigger on the Parasound JC2 - that's the only thing I don't actually own yet but was going to pull the trigger on it today - I'm running my Bricasti direct now and like it but want a pre and thought JC2 at $1700 was a good grab.

I don't want to meas up this thread and talk about pres but I will run the few cheaper ones I'm considering for feedback if no one minds.

I'm thinking about the JS2 - I've never heard it in my system but I never got to buy stuff while getting to hear it my system. I'm not going to waiste a dealers time and doubt they can match the used prices. 

I heard the Sopra 2 wasn't really that impressed but maybe it was the system but I'm looking for more speaker.

Rockport Atria 1 is the same price also but thought that the S5 or Magico would be better. I wanted to ask about YG because it's $4000 less.

Regardless of what I buy I don't want anything damaged - scratch is no problem but a damaged base unless it can be ordered and repaired I wouldn't want to get it home and have it be broken that would bum me out too much. Is regular blade a lot better than Blade 2 in my medium room 12x23? I would think it might be kinda small for a regular Blade but really don't know.

The speakers and shipping are eating up so much of my budget I wanted to get a pre for $2000 or under as an alternative to running my Bricasti direct:

for pres under $2000 I was thinking

Parasound JC2 $1,700
Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE $1,200
Cary SLP-98 $2000
Modwrite LS100 $1800
CJ Classic SE $1000
Audio Valve Eklipse $2000
VTL 5.5 $1800

Here are a few points, fof you to consider.

Your room is way bigger in terms of bass output due to the Cathederal ceiling, so a speaker with deeper bass is going to sound better.

Bass requirements in a room are based on total room volume , so a tall ceiling means you have a commensurate need for more bass output compared to a room with a shorter ceiling. 

As per our Kef Blades we can get a new base but want to sell the speakers first. The base is mechanically fine but the paint on the bottom came off due to an accident. 

Kef Blade vs Blade 2, Blades have considerably more bass and a bigger sound. 

The issue you have if you are on the short wall is you do not have a lot of room side to side, so after some delibration I would rule out the Kef's as the side firing woofers would play havoic on the 12 foot width.

Now if you are on the long side and have 23 feet width the Kefs will work well. 

Our demo room is 26 long by 20 wide with 10 foot ceilings, we are only about 8 feet away from the speakers and they work wonderfully as near field monitors. 

The Uni q, coaxial driver, enables the speaker to be very coherent and eliminates issues with imaging in a less then ideal setup. 

The Kefs are very transparent clean and fast, bass is prodigious and well defined. 

Another point the Kefs are very narrow and look good in many rooms.

If you are near the East Coast we have a set for you to hear. 

As per preamps it depends on where you want to go, Briscati is very neatural, Pass tends to sound a bit on the warm side.

Go with a BAT in your price range or the VTL they are both neautral yet are more satisfying to listen to vs the Parasound which is okay at best. 

You should get the speakers first and then listen to the setup if you want warmth go Cary, if you want neutral with good soundstaging and detail go with the VTL or BAT

Hope that helps. 

Dave Owner
Audio Doctor NJ

Dave - that info is awesome !!! 
I never thought about the high ceilings so thanks. Yeah they are high maybe 15-16 feet or so and I am on the long wall which is perfect and current set is Drivers 4 feet of back wall and about 8 feet away. I have Duel Sumiko S.9 Subs but really want to get full range and sell those but they are very good for their reasonable price.
Im on East Coast Boston.
please message me if those broken bass can be replaced and are same price as the used Magico  S5 then please pm me.