Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Al, thanks.  Yes you told me about the isolators.  I just remember reading on CA in a thread that the optical isolation is better, but I'm more than willing to try the isolators as they only cost about 65 or so if I recall.  

Yes, I thought WW sold the cat 8.  My dealer in NJ, Audio Connections sells those, so I'll ask him to get me one and I'll check it out.  At this point I may as well.  Do you have a link to the CA thread Al?  That would help all of us as I know many are lurking on this thread still (they send me emails etc.., lol).  

I'd love to speak with you off line about the grounding devices as I too have interest in checking them out.  Looking forward.  Thanks.

Thanks Pete
So, have we decided on a top tier dac yet or is this a perpetual thing? Is there at least a top 10 list created w/ summarized reviews to help potential buyers?
Yes, Pete we need to catch up. 

As far the difference in the two types of isolators it depends on several things. 
Who you ask, which ones you use/try, how much hassle vs difference in performance you might get. At one time the optical was more expensive. Not so sure now. People who I trust feel that from their experience the none optical ones work just as good if using the right ones. Of course who knows what might be introduced in a few years if at all. 
When I get the chance I will post a link to the CA thread. 
NiteWulf - I’m currently on a Light Harmonic Davinci 2. It arrived about a month ago and I’m still burning it in. I also am getting my old standby ODSX back from Maestro Steve for an update he just implemented that supposedly has made a significant improvement. Can’t wait to hear that!

So yes, and no. I’m also trying to audition some other DACS including a possible auditon of a Merging Technologies Merging+Player and a Boulder 2120. As well as a TotalDAC Twelve full complement of French DAC awesomeness.

As far as a summary goes, sorry. Its 72 pages of wandering and rambling. But all good stuff and worth skimming through. Hope that helps. PM me for specific questions. Happy to help.
Matt, I"m sure we will talk later today, but it's now time to introduce the Brinkmann Nyquist.  As you know, I loved this DAC the first time I heard it. It was possibly the most pleasing DAC I've head to date.  I'm not sure if it was the most resolving as it was with 50k Wilson's that to me lack detail.  That said, it was very impressive. I got the same response from someone in the industry who isn't the biggest fan of digital.  

What I've found with most any piece of great gear, you can't always tell about how much micro and macro detail you get in the first audition.  That's why I'd love to get one in my room to compare it to my Ayre QX5/20.  I'm also not so sure that these DAC's aren't in the conversation with TotalDAC and the Rossini and some others.  It's not always about price IRT any component.  I've found that too many are priced for the Asian markets (Matt and I always talk about this) and are double priced for the US market and then are HEAVILY discounted making folks think they got this great deal, when in fact if they'd have listened, they weren't.  That business model also devalues said products in the US for those of you who buy and sell often.  

I think the Brinkman costs 14k.  You can listen to it all day long and it was one of the most relaxed digital presentations I"ve ever heard. I just didn't love the system I was listening to, but I was highly familiar with it.  If it had more detail, I would have been loving it.  I think it's time to get the Ayre and Brinkman in (oh the Brinkman was connected to teh Aurender N10. I don't know which USB that they were using.