Why are tweeters so high off of the ground in many tower speakers...

...when most peoples ears are much lower when seated??

I've read many times that the tweeter should be at approximately ear level.  Well, I am 6 feet tall, and sitting straight up on my couch my ears are about 40 inches off the floor, lower of course if slouch.  My Artemis - Eos speakers have the tweeters at 45 inches high, so not too bad, but many others that I've seen are 50 inches high and more and I don't understand the designer's thinking.   Is a 10 - 12 inch difference in height acceptable or should the speaker be tilted down, which I think would create a whole new set of issues.
aigenga
Post removed 
With your loudspeaker at that height the accuton tweeter is off axis pretty much bouncing its energy over a seated listeners head that is sub optimal design. Design appears to be modeled after the old Wilson watt puppy setup and that I have had experience with good for standing listening seated not so much so.
I needed to research your speakers before chiming in.... Well, these have 1st order slopes and the rolloff is very minimal.  Unless you are fairly far away from your speakers,  pointing them downward would slightly increase the frequencies of both drivers around the crossover point. They would most likely sound peaky. 
Normal ear height is 38 to 48 inches,  when I build,  I design for this height. Also,  you want the sensitive frequencies of 800hz through around 3k centered at your ear.  These frequencies on your speakers are all coming from your woofer.  So if your ear height is 40 inches,  I would want the top ring area of my woofer also at 40 inches. Hopefully,  you sit 7 to 8 fit from your speakers and your speakers are around the same distance apart.   So,  I would start by adjusting the height of your speakers so that your woofer ring is 40 inches,  I would then point them in full tow,  meaning that your speakers point directly at your ears... Listen for sound stage imaging and any peaks in frequency.  If anything is not right,  slowly start turning your tow outward,  just an inch or so at a time, until you find the best overall balance.... 
I gave you a couple of ifs,  so if I am off from how far you sit from your speakers and how far your speakers are apart, please let me know and I'll re figure this based upon your listening position.
I hope this helps, 
Tim

random tail chasing, marketing and a lack of real engineering skill combined with a lack of enduring principles ?
i always get a crackup out of an 8' tall Diana Krall singing a stinging Case of You like she is standing on 6 cases of vino....

i will say measuring listening position ear height and a few other very important variables is key to a properly setup pair of Vandersteens and yes tilt is important.
Thanks to all for their input.  My question was more general than one that concerns my set-up.

I referenced my speakers as a starting-point for the discussion rather than a plea for help.  But, since many respondents have taken the time to address these speakers let me say thanks and fill in some details.  The speakers and I sit in an equilateral triangle nine feet on each side, and they point directly at my ears.  My room prevents me from going back another foot or two, which I think would be beneficial.  I am very happy with the performance of these speakers in my rig, very rarely do I hear anything better.  I use four monoblock amps: Jolida 211 Fusion tube amps on top, and Wyred For Sound mAmps on the for the bass boxes; crossover is at 70 hz.  

I asked the question because I see so many tower speakers where the tweeter is at the top, not close to average ear level.  Perhaps this is because of the "loudness wars" and crazy emphasis of top and bottom in a lot of pop music today.  My own listening doesn't include this type of music and so I wonder how these speakers would do on classical and jazz and acoustical music in general?  I think that they would need a listening distance of twelve feet or more before the tweeter would cohere to the sound.  Any Revel Salon owners out there care to comment.