Are future improvements in Amp/PreAmps slowing to a crawl?

don_c55
I think, he is both right and wrong. He is right that there doesn't appear that much more can be done with either tubes or transistors. Breakthrough will come when something different is invented. Whether it is ever invented or not is another question. I hope so. Let's be clear about it - neither tube nor transistor is good enough.
He knows it but he sounds quite resigned.
As noted already, type D is still in its' relative infancy.  So there's perhaps a new 'kid on the block' that's yet to hit the ceiling in terms of it's impact....

I keep seeing 'type T', which I suspect is referring to the Tripath units which appeared awhile back.  Is this a reference to a form of D class amps?  Can anyone expound on this for the record?

Curious minds, all that...*G*
@asvjerry you are, indeed, correct. Class T are built using the Tripath chips and are a subset of class D amps. From what I understand, though, Tripath chips are no longer manufactured and haven't been for a few years, so anything advertised as Class T is probably not going to be a great example of cutting edge class D.
No - the future is already clear. The new switched Mode Power Supplies are reducing 60Hz hum and lowering noise floors further than ever before imagined with a linear power supply.

Look at the specs on a Benchmark ABH2! Can anyone find an amp with better performance specs?

Only a few years ago world class was around -110 dB SNR, THD etc... these improvements are nothing less than staggering and YES you can hear the extra definition, clarity or blackness that such performance brings even though the best speakers are only -70 dB in performance. (I was doubtful about whether this level of performance can actually be heard but my ears tell me otherwise)