Which processor? Linn, Rotel, Outlaw, Meridian?

I have a great Linn 5 channel amp, great Linn Espek/Ekwal speakers, a good Velodyne sub, and a crappy Onkyo receiver as the processor. I am looking to upgrade and get a new processor but cannot spend more than $1500. Music/movies are 50/50 on this system.

I can pick up an OLD Linn AV5103 for under $1500.
I could buy a brand new Outlaw for $1099.
I could buy a Rotel 1066 for about $700.
...or a Meridian 568 for under $1500.

I don't believe anything will be future proof so I don't mind buying used gear. However, would "brand new" Outlaw chips be better than older chips? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, SACD, DVD-A is not a big deal for me. PLII would be nice but not necessary.
rushrx
Since you say you will be using this system half of the time for music you may want to give more serious consideration to PLII as it is actually quite good and a huge step up from the older PL.

Just because you have a Linn amp and speakers I do not feel that the older Linn processor makes any more sense than your other options. I'm not familar with the Linn, but if it is as old as you imply I would not consider it as it will be difficult to sell should you not be happy with it. Most people buying surround processors want the newer technology at least up to a point.

After taking a very long look at many options I decided on the Rotel 1066, which I got virtually unused for $800. I could not be happier and recommend it highly. Don't be misled by the low price these go for. Rotel makes exceptional equipment for very reasonable prices and has been doing so for a very long time. I use mine with Classe amps and Aerial loudspeakers on the front end and a Rotel amp and Von Schweikert TS-150's for the rear. I use a Hsu VFT3 for a sub. In the past I used an older Meridian and a Proceed PAV. The Rotel was a big improvement and of course it could handle the newer surround formats.

You did not mention the rest of your system, but you might be able to put that extra $800 to good use if you went for the Rotel. What are you using for a DVD player?

You may want to read Robert Deutsch's review of the 1066 in the January '03 issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater if you have not done so already.

Although the Outlaw is a good bang for the buck I do not believe it can compete with your other choices, which have been designed by companies with far greater experience in both 2 channel and multi-channel audio.

Hope this helps...
I've had a Meridian 565 in my HT setup for the last seven years, and it's one of the few items that I have zero desire to change. It's a pain to setup, but so very worth it. As close to natural sound as I can imagine from a processor. Way cheap on the used market too, but make sure you get the one with the Z4 chip which does dts, etc.
Hands down...Meridian. Granted the 568 is a older model, but the competition is no match for even the older Meridian. Trifield is still an eye opener, even compared to the newer formats that are coming out. Plus...play your cards right, you can find a 568 that can handle DD and DTS.

Of course, you're not gonna get the added features that the others are offering. IMO, the tradeoff of performance/reliability vs. features is something I wouldn't think twice about considering.