Spend more money on the amp or the pre-amp?

Let's say you have $800 total.  How much would you expect to spend on the Amp vs the Preamp? 50/50? 75/25?

What about if you have $400 total?  Does that change the ratio?

Thanks!
leemaze

"$800.00 get some very cheap stuff and pretend it sounds good.Good luck with that one!!"

I disagree. The OP can get a very decent used integrated amplifier for $800. There's a Creek Evolution 50A for sale right now on A'gon asking $699 and I've heard it paired with Wharfsdale monitors and it sounded excellent.

I would go on ebay and buy a nicely maintained Japanese receiver from the 1970s such as Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer etc.
As an additional comment to my post above, for $800, I'd also highly consider one of those Chinese integrated tube amps.  Audio Space, Antique Sound Labs, Jolida, Prima Luna - there's a lot to choose from on the internet.  I'd also consider a custom tube integrated as well....I much prefer tubes over solid state, so I would get any of these over the Creek, Yamaha or any other SS integrated in this price range.
Yes, i agree with the suggestion to find a vintage Japanese integrated amp/preamp//tuner.   The higher power Pioneers my favorite.