Ohm Speakers, thoughts?

I have long dismissed Ohm speakers as anything that could be competitive in todays state of the art. But of course I want to believe that this "old" American company still has some horsepower left to compete with asian built speakers built by people that take in less money in a week than my dog sitter takes in the couple hours it takes to let my dogs out to crap when I am away for a day :)? The reviews I have read here and there report incredible imaging but what about other aspects of the Ohm 5 II. Any thoughts?
nanderson
Could you get good response off the back of a standard driver firing down into a cabinet?

If the answer is no, then they must be using something different than a standard driver.

If the answer is yes, then they've come up with a way to get "walsh sound" from a standard driver.

Either way is just fine by me. I only care about the sound.
I've never heard Ohm Fs.

I a/b compared the new Series 3 100 drivers versus original Walsh 2 drivers from the early 80's before I purchased the larger f-5s with the Walsh 5 series 3 drivers.

The original Walsh 2 drivers had significant and very noticeable sonic shortcomings when compared the the new Series 3 Walsh 100 drivers or even my "modern" Dynaudio or Triangle (with subwoofer) monitors.

Though inferior, I still enjoyed the original vintage Walsh 2s for many years still, mainly due to the characteristics of the Walsh sound.
Gentlemen,
I think you have completely missed the point of my long treatise and the purpose of adding to this thread above. There is no comparrison to the old Walsh "F" or "A" relating to the current products.

The current products consit of two standard pistonic drivers, one being an iverted woofer and the other being a dome tweeter. This arrangent borrows a very small likeness to true Lincoln Walsh design and for lack of a better word "tricks" your ears into hearing somewhat onnidirectional sound, when in fact, it is only 180 degrees in dispersion. The back wave is suppressed from the woofer and the tweeter fires only frontward at a 45 degree angle to the norm.

The current product uses a complicated crossover network and is not truly time and phase aligned nor is the sound coherent. The Walsh principal, IMHO, is the finest speaker principal ever discovered, only the implimentation of that discovery has ever been lacking. Had it reached its full potential almost all piston drivers would be gone.

This is not to say that Ohm Acoustics has not done a fine job with what they currently offer, but true Walsh drivers they are not.

A Walsh speaker consists of one steep angled cone made to behave like a transmission line. It has no phase or time distortion, emits in a full 360 degrees and the sound wavefront is fulluy coherent just like a laser beam. There are no crossovers whatsoever. Placement is not super critical and the sound stage does not wander. If there is a sweet spot, then it is extremely wide and very, very accomodating.

The Lincoln Walsh discovery lives on in my NEW presentation of the "Waslh TLS" series of drivers and systems.
Did anyone notice the new speakers from BlueCircle?
A new collaboration with Ohm - did anyone hear them at RMAF?
Dale harder, you sound like a true affectionado of the Walsh sound as am I, at least the ones that I am familiar with!

Aren't the Ohm Walsh drivers, which radiate from the back of the driver mounted vertically as do Ohm Fs, truly omnidirectional even though Ohm choses by design to dampen the output to the rear?

I know all about the separate tweeter which is not omni and crossover and how this is a compromise on a "pure" Walsh implementation. However it is done, the soundstage does hold together in most any position relative to the speaker that I've observed. It may not be 100% pure Walsh but it is definitely much further away from a conventional box design than it is from a pure Walsh driver like the F's. It's a good design compromise as I see it that enables Ohm to anufacture and sell these Walsh speakers, with most of the benefit of a pure Walsh design, at a competitive price. To me that represents an innovation on the original Walsh design.

With so many variations of the typical box/dynamic speaker design out there, and little consensus on which is in fact best, surely a few variations on the innovative design principles put forth by Lincoln Walsh is not too radical!

Any way to hear a pair of Walsh TLS speakers on the east coast?

Having sold Ohm speakers years ago but having never actually heard Ohm Fs, I'd love to be able to a/b compare Ohm's current Walsh speakers against other designs like these or even German Physics or the MBL omnis. What difference would I hear in comparison to the Walsh 5 series 3?