Crazy to buy a 17 year old CD Player?

My ARC CD2 just died...I think the laser finally gave up the ghost.  Any how I've got thousands of red book CDs in my library and need a replacement player.  I'm thinking an ARC CD 3MKII or the Mark Levinson 390S.  Am I crazy to be thinking this?  Got a budget of around $2000.00.  My system, though dated, is made up of higher end stuff: ARC 25 pre amp, ARC VT 150 mono amps, VPI TNT IV, Wilson Witts, all running through Transparent Reference (Balanced).
cmcdaniel5
jds, I don't consider the Oppo 105 to be an example of very good digital sound these days.  It's OK for what it is, a $1,500 universal player, but there are much better cd players available.
I have 3 vintage transports.   I bought these based on what transport mechanism was used back when they were made.  Being that in some quarters it is said  that the last best mechanism made by Philips was the CDM9 (standard or pro)   And essentially the best of earlier production is the CDM 1 mk ii.       I have a Musatex CD-D /C-lok that has been gone through by S. Sank who is adamant re/the high quality of this transport .  The Musatex uses the Philips CDM1 mkii.      The other 2 ---  PSAudio Lambda which uses the Philips CDM9 pro and a Rotel  RDD980 which uses the CDM9.    Of course I can use any DAC I want  and suggest you look for a pristine transport.    Ive seen sellers ask as much as $1k for the Lambda..  I got mine for $400 here on Agon.   My Musatex also was bought here for less than $400--- incredible scores.   My Rotel I also got on here for $150 and picked it up locally.    All that being said.. I was told by Theta one time some years back that lasers age just sitting on the shelf.     So far I've never experienced a laser failure and most all of my transports have been vintage.   My current ones are from the 90's.  This site will tell just what mechanism is used on most all transports and players as well.  http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/
I just looked up your ARC CD2-  It uses the Philips CDM12.4  which is production post  CDM9..  Whether this is relevant  is a good question esp if the laser  quit.     Often a vintage good vintage deck can be found because so many are going to music files only.  
Technics is as good is it gets. Pioneer never knew how to market them. Maybe they didn't know what they had. Second choice, get any box that will take an Oppo drive and hook it up to a decent DAC. I suggest the http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html
Spendy, but worth twice the price.
I would add that those 12AT7s in there are not just buffers; they're volt amps as well.