connect 2 different wire gauge to pos and neg speaker terminal

what happens if say Kimber kable 12 tc to pos and lowes 10 gauge grounding wire to neg side or 12 tc biwire  to pos and lamp cord to neg
chalmersiv
Kijanki, thanks for your characteristically excellent technical input.

Williewonka 8-24-2017
Let’s take the IC connecting two components as an example...
- the signal conductor has an AC signal on it
- the neutral conductor is connected to the neutral sides of each component

On well designed components the neutral side of the circuit should always be at zero vaults - especially if grounded

If both components are well designed, then the neutral sides of the their respective circuits would be at zero volts,

Therefore, the neutral conductor of the IC should also be at zero volts - yes?

Hi Steve,

First, be sure to keep in mind, as you no doubt realize, that a voltage must always be defined with respect to some reference. Given that, in the example you cite above the neutral conductor would indeed be at or very close to zero volts, **relative to the circuit grounds/signal grounds of the two components.** And probably in most (but not all) designs relative to AC safety ground and earth ground as well. But those facts do not have any inconsistency with what I said in my earlier posts.

Consider the simple example of a 120 volt light bulb. When it is turned on via the switch on the wall, if you were to individually measure the current in the "hot wire" and the "neutral wire" that are connected to it you would measure exactly the same amount of current in both. Even though the neutral wire is at or very close to zero volts relative to earth ground and to AC safety ground.

I’ll take a look at the book you referenced later today or tonight.

Best regards,
-- Al

Let’s try a different approach. Teflon is obviously a very good dielectric material, right? It has a dielectric constant of approximately 1.0 if I’m not mistaken. Which means that electomagnetic waves will not (rpt not) be slowed significantly through Teflon. On the other hand, we know that the audio signal - which (I think there is agreement on this) is an electromagnetic wave - is found to travel only around 70-85% of the velocity of light in a vacuum. I believe this means that the electromagnetic wave must be traveling through the copper, not the dielectric. His else could you explain the discrepancy?

almarg
7,435 posts                                                                     08-24-2017 3:12pm

Jim (Jea48), I’m not sure if your most recent post is suggesting that I try to explain why Geoff’s comment is incorrect, or that I refrain from doing so to avoid having this heretofore constructive thread go downhill the way the recent thread on wire directionality has. But I’ll assume the former, perhaps incorrectly.
Al,

For the latter.

I am glad you answered Geoff’s post though.

Jim

As far as the directionality thread is concerned Al and Atmasphere have definitely not proved their points. Furthermore, it should be pointed out much of Al’s argument (as is often the case) is an Appeal to Authority, citing experts to support his argument. Even citing his own expertise, not to mention Atmasphere’s. That’s an appeal to authority. You know, a logical fallacy. Geez, all you would have to do to win any (rpt any) technical argument is say well, I found this guy so and so and he says such and such so I must be right.

Cheers

Dielectric constant of Teflon is about 2. Vacuum has dielectric constant of 1.

Yes, Teflon will slow down electromagnetic wave. Insulator will slow down electromagnetic wave by amount based on its ability to store energy - Permittivity. Dielectric constant is just relative Permittivity. This speed of electromagnetic wave thru typical insulated wire is about 60% of the speed of light in the vacuum. For typical cable it comes to about 5ns/m and it is exactly true for cat5 cable. There is no different electromagnetic wave for audio signals and other signals.