How do tell when my stylus is too much worn?

I have had my MC cartridge for about 5 years. I haven't kept a proper log but I would guess about 7-800 hrs. How can I tell BY LISTENING that it is worn enough to replace or retip? Does it get edgy or shrill or....?
I suspect that the change would be so gradual that it might be hard to tell, as the ear slowly accomodates.
Of course I should remove the cartridge and view under a microscope but un mounting and remounting is a perilous business that I would like to avoid.

rrm
It is also debatable whether slightly rounded edges on a slightly worn fancy diamond, result in more audible record wear than say one with a simple conical tip. Of course the fancy diamond will sound better, but is there less record wear?

I have old records played many times on cheap old MM cartridges from the early 70’s that sound "mint" with expensive properly setup MC cartridges of today.

Records can survive more abuse than you think. Also your system resolution comes into the equation..

I feel the best solution is have two interchangeable arm tubes (like VPI and other brands) which contain a new and older cartridges for audible comparison.

If you can not hear a difference, you do not need a retip, or new cartridge.

I do that.

Raul,
Do you listen to more vinyl than digital? Just curious how many times a year you re-tip? 
another one of signs of warn stylus is it's not erect anymore and may fall down almost to the chassis under normal tracking weight.

czarivey, You are obviously confused : ''erection problem'' is

called ''low riders'' , stylus wear may look as similar but is

totally different problem. The problem of this problem is ''anybody

guess'' as can be seen in this thread. From 500 till at least 2000

hours are opinion differences. Even worst are opinions about

''records vulnerability'' According to some real experts 5 g VTF

is no problem at all. I.e. 0,5 g is much more dangerous.