Tekton Impact Monitors

Hi All,
I'm relatively new to Audiogon but have trolled the discussions for a few months. I have been listening to Spendor LS3/5As driven by a Quad 34/306 combination since the late 1980's and decided that it was finally time to upgrade my speakers. I love the Spendors but they are very limited in dynamics and scale. I auditioned the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers and while they brought some additional scale they simply didn't have the sweet midrange that I can't live without. I listened to some open baffle speakers (Emerald Physics) and loved them, but their size and need for space worried me, and I found them less satisfying at moderate and low volumes, where I do a fair bit of listening. I was fascinated by all the discussion regarding Tekton speakers and was considering getting a pair of Enzo 2.7s, but after a short discussion with Eric I followed his recommendation of the Impact Monitor with upgrade. They have the 7 tweeter array and a pair of 6.5" woofers and are rear-ported. I use a pair of SVS subs (the sealed variety). The Impact Monitors are simply amazing. The midrange is oh-so-sweet (very similar to my Spendors, but with more air) and the detail, even at low and moderate listening levels, is superb. The imaging is even better than my Spendors managed and the scale is huge and is much more music-appropriate. My system is really quite modest but now when I walk into my listening room (doubles as our living room - thankfully my wife appreciates Hi-Fi) I get the audio-show feeling of "being there". I have a Denon DP59L turntable with a DL110 HO moving coil cartridge running through an Emotiva XPS-1 phono preamp and the Tektons are absolutely incredible with classic rock on vinyl. I'm not sure how Eric managed it, but these speakers are superb, even with my 30 year old Quad electronics. I believe they are basically the top 24" of the Double Impacts, but are rear-ported rather than front ported. I can heartily recommend them and Eric and his team are great to work with. I'm not sure how many other Impact Monitors are out there since the pair I have are S/N 0005 and 0006!  
ky1mag
I have serial #0003 & 0004, so we’ve got all 3 owners of the Impact Monitors here (until ky1mag sent his back). I’ve had them for 7 weeks, and I’m keeping them. I have a medium size room, 13’ x 15’, have them on the short wall about 3 ft. from the front wall and 3 ft. from the side wall, roughly 8 ft. apart. I’ve got my 2 Emotiva DSP10 subs corner loaded in the front corners of the room. I have the Monitors firing straight ahead, they image better that way, and I have no problems with center fill.
I listen to classical orchestral music (just got in the Mahler 3rd with Fischer/Budapest, it’s one of the best orchestra recordings I’ve ever heard, simply amazing (Channel classics CCS SA 38817)) and solo piano music (take a listen to Guido Agosti’s arrangement of Stravinsky’s Firebird on BIS 2150 SACD, "A La Russe", beautiful recording) or Albert Tiu playing Brassin’s arrangement of Wagner’s "Magic Fire music" from Die Walkure on "The classical elements" on Centaur.
As to the sound: when Eric shipped them he said they sound "Smooth as silk" and that’s as good a description as any. I do hear a more natural, organic sound and a airy 3-D midrange than I’ve heard from other monitors, and they have good dynamic range as well. They give me all the SPLs I need for Classical orchestra/Piano music (I’m driving them with an Oppo 103, Bifrost AKM 4490, NAD Preamp, Class D amp).
The 6 tweeter array that covers the midrange unravels orchestral textures like nothing I’ve ever heard with good depth and dimensionality. FWIW, They might be the best Monitors I’ve heard-

pawsman
@ky1mag  and @why0why  Thank you for clarifying.

@ky1mag  It's too bad that they didn't work out for you. But I completely understand. And I hope you are able to find another pair that meet your needs.  The most important part was doing what you did, which was to audition them in your own room and setup. 
Pawsman,

I'm glad you are enjoying your Di monitors and that was a very good description of the sound you are hearing.

I listen to quite a lot of piano music and I must have speakers and system that gets it right.
I also use full orchestra music as a system test and that can be a deal breaker also.

Enjoy the music,
Kenny.
ky1mag,

I commend you for at least trying the monitors in your own system,and I'm curious to know how much time did you put on them and also could you clarify how they first sounded vs how they differed in sound when you made your decision.

Kenny.
Pushing 3 months on my monitors. I still am just enjoying the hell out of them.I will be swapping the Odysseys back in soon to compare. These are not bright to me at all, just really great sounding speakers. I would be interested in hearing the difference with the dome tweeters compared to the rings. I listen mostly to rock, prog, 80"s metal, blues and these just do everything right.