VPI 2nd Pivot for 3D

I just installed mine and discovering my old records anew.  I thought I knew everything there was to know on the original pressing of Fleetwood Mac's Rumers......but no - there's more.  You immediately hear a more solid bass, but then the dynamics hit hard.  It sounds like my amp is on steroids.  More cleanliness, - everything is better.  Very highly recommended.
128x128stringreen

"When this concentration of pressure upon the points of contact is calculated, we find it to be approximately 26 tons per square inch... The most interesting photos to me described the "infinite" amount of force applied to the groove by the spherical and elliptical stylus designs....Since the contact points are rounded, the contact area is infinitely small, so no matter what the tracking force, the tracking pressure at the point of contact is effectively infinite...At that point you have a hot stylus pressing infinitely hard against vinyl and this can easily create substantial softening (melting is not required, in fact melting is not the mechanism that creates the ripples)....because of the small area of contact that exists between the stylus tip and the groove, the pressure against the groove wall can rise up to many thousands of pounds per square inch."

Raul thank you so much for regurgitating this little piece of fantasy I had forgotten about it entirely you did a fine job with cut and paste cut and paste cut and paste. Of course it is wholly fantasy as it's faulty "logic" is based on "infinite" forces and a contact area that is "infinitely small" if you do not see the humor in this then something was lost in translation and perhaps you should read it again rather than just cut and paste cut and paste cut and paste because of course in the real world of turntables used in Music Reproduction Systems there is no such thing as an infinite anything!

Also Raul if you are going to engage in cut and paste cut and paste cut and paste rather than going to the trouble of actually doing your own arithmetic then you should credit your sources and further when you cut and paste cut and paste cut and paste you might want to be a little less selective in your cut and paste cut and paste cut and paste and include disclaimer language such as one of your sources clearly noted at the top of its page that reprinted this "material":

"Shure makes no claims as to the accuracy of the information in the text."

However I do thank you for supplying what I think will be the biggest laughs I get all week it is truly priceless what you have done here and I now realize that you probably really don't intend it to be taken seriously at all but are using a subtle form of sarcasm/humor to entertain us. Very very nice work but of course if I am mistaken about your motives then you will return to insult me as you have elsewhere in this thread under which circumstances I am quite confident that the moderators in their esteemed judgement will delete your remarks again as they have so many times previously regarding your commentary here.

Infinite! Funny! I track at about 2.1 grams what about you, Raul??? :) :)  :) :)  :)  :) :) :)  :) :) :)  :) :) *G* *G* *G* lol!!!

Raul thank you again I am still laughing away over you're logic that relies on the assumptions of "infinites" to arrive at real-world conclusions about tonearm pivots. To help you develop you're own arithmetic model rather than relying on the flawed work of others, here are some steps to follow.

After measuring the coefficient of friction as ratios between pivot points and accounting for the pivot-to-spindle difference as a variance on the ideal transference of rotational convergence, integrate the realtime consequence of the stylus to groove vibrational interaction with the cantilever assembly to arrive at a  deviation (from the theoretical ideal, of course) of the frequency output seen at the phono preamp input while carefully accounting for the impedance and resistive effects that the cables themselves introduce to the ac signal.  The resulting schemas can form the basis of the conclusion regarding the pivot friction forces that influence unipivot tonearms and this will help you synthesize extensible paradigms but please remember that the results you obtain will be limited to the specific example of tonearm that you have so carefully measured.

I do hope that you will share your results with this group so that we verify your calculations.

Clearthink,

You realise you've just given Lew a brainstorm... :D :D

Like the Krell knowledge base, it'll take him years to decipher that ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GSd92zgqAs

Dear @moonglum : There are several audio subjects we are not totally aware of or that just we need to remember it.

Cartridge/tonearm/LP relationship is the most important subject in the analog experience.

Those very high forces generated in between puts its own " signature " on what we are listening.
It is not only that ( for me ) unipivots are forbidden tonearm designs but at almost the same critical importance is the tonearm necessity of been perfectly damped through its design or other way: forbidenn.

We have to remember that all those generated vibrations/resonances/errors between the LP/cartridge/tonearms continuously are generating feedback through that " circuit " adding complexity to the whole main subject.

Good that you had that " number " at the tonearm bearing.

Over the net exist " formidable " scientific information. AES/BAS are some sources about but I can see that in your country you already was aware of all those.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Dear Raul,

The report you published is the first I’ve seen that confirms my long-held belief that diamonds “burn” more than they “wear”. Many thanks for that! :)

The importance of the “message” rather than the messenger is the main thing. People may differ on what they regard as the perfect analogue medium or how to achieve it but it is gratifying that vinyl records are still being celebrated today regardless of those differences.

Diverse solutions are also something to celebrate.

It shows that we’re still alive and thinking even if there are downsides and compromises. :)

Best regards,

Bill