Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
So apparently a short version was considered abusive. I thought I was being concise. This is me being perfectly reasonable.

The best educators lead by example. Those who show a willingness to listen, learn and adapt instill the same in others. I look forward to seeing more of that in this thread.

Best,

E
Hello Erik, Ralph, all,

I have endorsed Class D myself, and had some input on this thread, although I very much like music with my Class D Audio amps, I had an ongoing problem, dealing with noise generated by my two CDA 254 amps. I even posted a thread on this issue. but got no response, so I thought I'd try again here.

I have a three channel amp that I use for surround and center, with one module run in stereo, and one module bridged to mono for the center. The power supply is used by both modules. This amp is subject to a fair amount of noise.

I also have, in a separate chassis, two CDA 254 amps bridged to mono, and while this amp sounds great musically, it has even more noise being produced than the three channel amp. Again, both modules share a common power supply. My first Class D Audio amp was a stereo CDA 254, having the power supply to itself. It was very quiet running in stereo mode. I didn't start having noise issues until there were two modules sharing the same chassis/power supply.

I have the half-baked notion that the noise is related to having more than one module sharing a common chassis/power supply.

I have tried to get an answer from Tom at CDA, but he won't reply. I'm hoping one of you kind gentleman,will offer your thoughts on my problem. I'm thinking on buying another chassis, transformer, and power supply, and see if using two mono-blocks (in bridged mode) will solve my problem. I'll be very interested to see what any of your replies might have to say.

Thanks much, regards,
Dan  
Hi Dan,

I don't know enough about your amps to help you I am afraid. The DIYAudio web site is a great resource for kits and components.

The site is down for upgrading, but should be back up by Monday, July 10, 2017.  I would ask there.

While some digital amps have noise issues when you put modules too close together, I would not think this was an issue. I would suggest try unplugging all but 1 module, and see if that does anything to the sound quality.  If so I wonder if your issue is proximity.

Best,

E
@islandmandan 

I'll be very interested to see what any of your replies might have to say.
What sort of noise are you encountering?