2017 ‘Keeper’ speakers under - $25K

Heading towards the second half of 2017, I thought to ask here what other’s feel based on their experiences, wants or desires, exactly which recent production speakers under $25K, would be the ones you would want to marry.

Or be in a very long term fundamentally though not totally committed, relationship.

One wherein if they promise to satisfy on demand, you promise to keep them clean and sufficiently supplied with power and the purest of signals, not to leave dirty clothes on the floor, and to take the trash out daily, er, uh, regularly.

Actually, those last two items are predominately conscience driven and do not command perfect adherence.

Which speakers hands down just flat out captivated your attention, fancy, or were so compelling they made a significant impact.

In short, Speakers that have taken your breath away .

As speakers are merely one part of the ching let’s qualify things somewhat.

1. Speakers which can run very well in medium sized rooms. EX. 14 to 18ft wide, and 17 to 25ft long or deep, with ceilings from 8.5ft to 10ft H, or so.

2. If a sub was or should have been added, please, mention that as well.

3. If an Ultra high end setup, massive SS power amps, Tubes, or flea watt amps, were feeding and or driving them noting it would be appropriate.

4. Recent production since 2015. New or used.

Although it seems prudent to list only current production speakers, I know adding on the facet of pre-owned adds a lot more choices for the ‘desert island’ I got mine, you get your’s, scenario, but what the hey. It beats that 250 to 500 plus hours of run in new units usually insist upon.

If links to accounts or info on them is available, please include it.

As this is about options anyhow, let no design be excluded.

blindjim
"Gunned" Magnepans with a good amp behind them.

indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html
Dynaudio Confidence C4 Platinums are at your upper limit but they also have other models that are quite good for the money like the new C30 and C60. Although with the C30/60 you will lose a layer or 2 of resolution. Room placement is pretty easy too.
ediver
blindjim > thanks so very much for the thoughts and appraisals.

Bmontani > Really like my Thiel 3.7s. A bargain at 16 K retail. Now probably 6 or 7 k.

Blindjim > Do they still make part of the cabinet out of concrete?

Davidclarke > QUAD ESL2912 WITH 4 KEF sub-woofers and 2 Raal Ribbon Ribbon Tweeters... http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=11

Blindjim > Appreciate it greatly. However, my chences are mighty slim I’m opting for ‘Stats. Its just personal preffs.
Though some other readers might. Tanks.

Soundsrealaudio > So Blindjim tell us what you value in speakers.

Blindjim > like anyone, ‘everything’. I want it all.
I listen to nearly every genre save for Rap and Hip Hop, and current R&B which is usually the aforementioned in disguise. Not much symphonic or opera but that could change. Biggest favs are big band jazz, R&B, Folk, acid jazz, contemporary jazz, country, though not much of the current ilk. Blues and Rock, but not much metal head stuff. Alternative. Americana. Etc. Pop but not those stuck in Electronica. In short, music that makes sense. Not just someone talking a song while a synthesizer does the sounds.

Speakers should be accomplished at Imaging, fidelity, feel it kind of impact. Neutrality which lands spot on or merely a degree or three to the warmer side… though doesn’t obscure deatail or separation of performers. Coherency, and cohesion. Range.

I loved the dynaudio Isotar tweeter in my previous Sonata IIIs.

As for bass response, this area remains open or debatable. Depending…. I’m not aginst the addition of a sub or two, though it is not the primary aim going into this next system build.

Were I forced to choose to forgoe any part of the bandwidth, I’d have to say I’d wind up with monitors and sacrifice buying speakers with poor, bad, or no bass. Its important to me, but not the deal breaker it used to be. I’m not big on pipe organs anyhow.

However, the tweeter is or can be a deal breaker.

Loads of factors abound which can dictate a resolution, room, power amps (glass or SS), and of course the speakers that land here.

IMHO, speakers should always be the windows to the music and your up river gear. But not so critical and incisive the musical experience is shelved at the expense of rendering sonics with an acid etched outline.

I’m not yet a detail and resolution at all costs freak just yet. Though I see their necessity.

“Do you have the gear to support these things. Is your upstream very transparent?”

God willing and the creek don’t flood, yeah. Soon.

I’m figuring on dropping around $40K. less, of course if possible, a bit more if necessary. Wanna stay under $50K total.

As I’ve always been shown the front end means the most that’s where the budget is tilted. This aspiration should allow for more speaker investing though… and why this thread. And the amp & cable threads initiated simultaneously..

Nothing is set to stone but amps I like just now are the Constellation imagination ? entry level, VAC IA line, one or two more and all range from $8K to $15K. predominately. Once more, the speakers will certainly influence and likely command the power amp decision.

So I’ll be more attracted to squeakers with 89 – 90db to 95 – 96db, for I would prefer tubes. I think. Their upkeep could alter this view point. Maybe.

a Thor MK II will remain the controller, until I feel it too must or has to be preplaced as it is SE only. Most amps in the upper ranges are true XLR, ie., above.

Digital source and cabling options are catch as catch can and will be an ongoing pursuit. Albeit, I have ideas there too and a Bel canto DAC 3, some decent PCs and spkr cables, left over from my former array.

The goal is to update and upgrade everything. Eventually so this venture becomes ‘the’ destination outfit. Which I find, pretty funny. But for some years, I should be pretty happy with what ever lands here. Time, weather, inclination, and so forth will push it into the ‘ever evlolving’ phylum I’m sure. Acquiring music should then take the reigns.

Kollamala > Recommend Marten Bird 2

Blindjim > appreciate it.

Phillipsus > Wilson W/P 7, 8 or Sasha (any model) with VTL preamp (2.5 or 7.5) and VTL amplification.

Blindjim > I sure do feel ya on the tubes required with Wilsons.

deepee99 > Tyler Highlands.

Blindjim > thank you. I keep hearing from tyler owners, as with other brands owners, they like what they got.

russ751 > I thought I would be a planar guy forever until I picked up a used pair of Kipod 2 speakers from YG Acoustics.

Blindjim > thanks. Funny you mention the YGs. I read an article about their Carmellas ? that interested me. Some. The review said they were frightfully revealing which concerns me a good bit.

Did you hear any other YGs or the Carmellas?

Ilkeresmer > Find a Dunlavy SC-4 and live it!!!

Blindjim > tanks. Not likely. Sorry. Too old. Too hard to drive.

kingdomtrading1 > But If you want great HIFI type sound with wide dispersion have a serious look at the new Paradigm Persona speakers with Berrylium tweeters and mid drivers

blindjim > these already sit on the short list. Which model is another story completely.

To which models have you listened? With what power train and source?

I’ve not heard these but they are definitely on my short list:
AZ Crescendo latest ver.
YG Carmell latest ver
Focal Sofera latest ver.
A great deal on a Wilson might impress me.
Endeavor 3s latest ver.
Audio Physics and that Austrian speaker maker always make pretty good upper end units.
Daedalus Poseidon
A couple I can not recall this minute, and a wild card pre owned model which I can’t afford as new at all.
Hope that helps.

Martin Logan Expression ESL 13a electrostatic and dynamic hybrid speakers.  The finest and clearest sound I have ever heard from 30 to 20,000.