New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
Yes, That's part of my quandary.

Leads me back to a Black Night, Tech Das III even a Kronos..

Think it was a Dual 1229 and a V15 Ty III that made it all so easy in the Day.

Best
The SL 1200 G/GAE is is every bit as good as I and others have stated. It is far beyond anything I've heard from VPI although I've not heard the VPI DD.  Much as I love my Kuzma 4 Point and I'm buying an Airline I prefer the GAE to the Xl DC which I had a nice session with.

The TW's sound dark to me but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Different systems, different likes.  I'm not saying that it's as good as a Caliburn although I have no idea why Mr. Fremer would choose that messed up record with a collection so vast.  I definitely could hear the superior timeline of the GAE and I could definitely hear the superior decay and body of the Caliburn. Like I've written before, remove that horrible rubber mat and the GAE takes on a whole new character for the better.

The stock mat is horrid and sucks life and light from the sound. 

I have a buddy with a +20k TT and a Triplanar with a very expensive cartridge and it will not touch the GAE for corporeal real-ness. The turntable belonging to my friend is a DD and so the timing is nearly perfect as is the GAE. 

Again, it sounds like my SP10mk 3 NG only less grand. Like a Steinway Parlor Grand compared to a Concert Grand.

i did recently have a $10k phono stage which was superb connected to the GAE.  It is the third best stage I've heard. I didn't buy it because in the end, although I absolutely loved the aesthetic, it was bested to my and my gf's ears by the iPhono 2 + linear PS. Now, it was close enough that I could very very easily see the choice coming down to personal taste. 

Hey Audiofun,

I'm curious about the mat replacement. I have a 1200G. What mat did you choose? What improved?

Thanks

blouse: 

if you have a warm and/or lush sounding phonostage or overall system sound, try removing the mat and placing the record directly on the brass platter. If you have a neutral to just shy of neutral try an acrylic mat. I am using a mat I received from Chris Thornton which is acrylic. I was the guinea pig for this mat. contact Chris at Artisan Fidelity or find another acrylic mat.

obviously mats are very important and can make or break a system. The stock silicon feet are warm sounding and lean towards a bit of lushness. I experimented with different combinations until I arrived at a balance which I loved. 

The one one thing I can tell you is that I've never had a combination where the stock mat didn't absolutely destroy the sound and that goes for the original stock rubber mat which came with my SP10 mk3, I use a custom copper mat which I purchased from Artisan Fidelity. 

The copper mat mat does NOT work on the GAE! It was immediately evident that this was a bad combo but to Technics credit I believe the manual states that if you use a record weight or such the mass should under a certain amount (would have to refer to he manual again) and my copper mat did exceed the recommended weight limit.

I think it was Mr. Fremer who recommended the Holger Stein mat. I may try that mat one day.

I for one do not use clamps or weights. Everyone I've tried has shut the music down on both of my tables.

That table and arm will tell you Everything with regards to the sound based on your decisions, it is very very revealing.

I can clearly hear the differences between feet, mats and head shells.

Experiment and listen deeply into the music. I find small ensembles with accompanying vocals to be some of the best music to hear these types of changes.