Amps for Egglestonworks Andra II or Sophia 2

After many years, I'm interested in upgrading my system with great full range speakers. I'm currently using really old Meridian active speakers, so I will need amplification too. I have a Meridian 508.24 CD player and a Sonic Frontiers Line-2 pre-amp, and I intend to keep those.

I don't really want to spend more than $9K total.

The two speakers I'm most interested in are the Egglestonworks Andra II and the Wilson Audio Sophia 2. I have heard neither of these speakers, but they both have glowing reviews. Years ago, I had heard the Egglestonworks Rosa and I liked them, though they were close together in a smallish room. The best thing I've ever heard was a high dollar setup with Wilson Maxx 2 speakers in a large room. I guess I'm getting at the fact that I have enjoyed the sound of both families of speakers, and would probably adapt to either and be happy if I could integrate them into my challenging room. The reported mid-bass hump of the Andra gives me a little pause, but most people seem to love them.

It looks like the Sophia 2 is going to be somewhere around $7200 on Agon, and the Andra II might be a grand cheaper. I've seem many people state in these forums that the Andras don't shine unless you have big amps driving them, and that makes me wonder if the total system cost will be higher with them.

I did a little looking around and it sounds like the Parasound A21 is a good amp for the money. Can anyone advise me as to whether that has enough gusto to run either pair of these speakers near their potential?
sboje
Sboje , why not contact the Eggleston folks and ask them for some recommendations on a SS amp for the Andra.
Yes I did try the JC1 to my Andra 1, I prefer plinius SA100, more musical especially in class A mode...At present Iam using musical fidelity super charger 550 monoblock .they sound good on Mark Levinson 333 as well.
hi,

I’ve been hanging around here since ’04 and some of the folks providing input here have as well or longer and all have immense experience in trying various combinations of gear, and approaches in building sound systems.

The ticket however will always be this: if you’re going to spend time at the beach, ya gotta get in the water at some point. Or why go in the first place??

I have had some audition experience with the Sophias. Each time they were being pushed by Ayre gear. 400 wpc monos, Ayre pre, Ayre CDP and all Transparent wires. I did not care for the setup at all. Too dry, too detailed and non musical. Highly resolute but just too overall analytical.

Until…. I brought in my own VK5 Tube preamp with shunyata Tesla Helix power cord. Things livened up then. It became more musical and timbers were more correct.

Yeah, that was a while ago.

For years I’ve heard from many that Wilson should have tubes in the mix somewhere. I believe it.

Having heard as well two other brands upper end speakers with Transparent cabling, one thing is for sure, I’ll never be ponying up money for their wires, in part or fully thru the rig.

Every device has its own voice or influence in a system. Its like baking a cake. Keeping mindful of the right mix and the results will often be quite satisfying.

On the plus side didn’t you say you had a Sonic Frontiers line stage preamp? If so, your options improved significantly if you want to stroll down ‘tube rolling avenue’ once your SS amp drops in.

Any number of SS amps will drive either of your short list speakers. Trust me. Optimization usually comes along down the road however. Ya gotta get a base line started first so you’ll know which way you need to or want to proceed.

This hobby is so very subjective an experience.

Class D amps seem a sincere option here. Not terribly pricey and often pretty easy ‘tube like’ sounding but with guts enough to control the listed woofers. Bel Canto 250/500wpc monos and your pre ought to be a more than fair to middling fit right off the bat. BAT as well has some very musical amps still out there at reasonable cost. 100 wpc to 150wpc or 200wpc, Odysseys, mcCormacks, Rotel’s, CJ’s, wire4sound, BC, Pass, Krells, Parasounds, Plinius, all SS or Class D’s and all getting long in the tooth will surely suffice. There are others, but as said previously, ya gotta get in now where ya fit in.

Later on, comes the necessary or desired increases and improvements.

The ‘Audiogon shuffle’, buy, try, sell, repeat… is the ticket for anyone desiring to build a competent and capable outfit.

Based on only some limited exp with the Wilson on your list, it sure seems the easier one to deal with given it doesn’t weigh nearly as much or is not as largely obtuse as the Eggelston. Both units have been on my own radar for years and not caring much for the Sophia’s presentation even with tubes, I’d opt for the big Egg myself, depending on condition and of course, landed cost.

I can’t recall anyone mentioning they bought a true ‘turn key’ outfit where everything was optimized and fully in place right off the jump. Systems are works in progress. Start somewhere. Anywhere at all. And with luck, at some point. Stop. Then just like the directions on the bottle of shampoo…. Acquire, listen & enjoy, then repeat the affair all over again!

Hmmm…. If that line had trucks or prison mentioned in it, one could make a decent country song from it. Or at least a commercial.

Good luck.