Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
Years ago I started with the Vandersteen 4s. These were the only questionable product Richard has ever produced, primarily because the subwoofers were so difficult to drive. But, having owned the 4s, I became adicted to the Vandersteen sound. The longer you listen, the better it sounds. From the 4s, I went to the Vandersteen 3As - an absolutely amazing product for the money.

For the past 2.5 years I have owned the Vandersteen 5s, and have never once thought of looking for something else. The better the equipment mated with them, the better they sound. Check out my entire system in Audio Asylum under pctower.

I have been an audiophile for over 30 years, and have made hundreds of changes in my system. The one constant is Vandersteen speakers. If you want speakers that you appreciate more the longer you own them, definitely check out the Vandersteen 5s.
Our Avalon Acoustics Arcuses. Listened to many. Owned others. The 2-way to beat, IMO.
I think Ryllau answers his own question about as well it can be done in his 3rd post - audition those from manufacturers who have had the time and the track record to develop and refine proven designs, and who place an emphasis on timbral accuracy, instead of a "house sound" or being "new & improved" every model year. If I were him, that would mean starting with the current Pro-Acs, and branching out from there to auditioning some of the other brands he mentions. As for me, I've only had my Thiels for 4 years, but when I eventually upgrade, I certainly won't leave such a proven (to me) marque out of the mix.
They sound good year after year after year, and are reliable enough to keep working. Quad electrostatics (any of them) and the Klipsch Heritage series (Klipschorns, Belle Klipsch, and LaScala's) are two VERY different routes toward having something you can enjoy for years. So are the classic British monitors (like the LS-3/5a). Modern designs that I think will wear well over the years include the Sonus Fabers.

None of these speakers shouts at you, or unduly draws attention away from the music and toward itself. (The Klipsch Heritage series is more neutral than most horn designs - really quite good.) That is the test of something you can live with for a long time. That and basic reliability.
I've bought all my equipment used- kept my first decent speakers Klipsch K-horns for 3 years- just too big for me- went to QUAD ESL 63 about 15 yrs ago and still own them- had full crosby mods done and have replaced panels several times-Bought Entec LF 20 subs a dozen yrs ago and i've been very happy in several different houses/rooms. All this run with Spectral amps/preamp which i've also owned for 14 yrs.