Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Greetings from High End Munich...😎
No vintage DD tables in use here....
Tables of choice appear to be Kronos and TechDas.....but mostly they spin for show.
CDs and Servers are the popular (and easier) option.....and when the sound you hear is predominantly determined by the speaker system employed (Linn lied to us).....even I don't care 🤷‍♀️ 
lewm,

The 39 pound gunmetal platter was able to be utilised by the GT 2000, the GT 2000L and the GT 2000X. Not only the GT 2000X.
Theophile, OK.
I wouldn't think of using that platter without the optional larger and heftier bearing assembly.  Was that available for all 3 versions of the GT2000, as well?  If so, then what is the big deal about the "X" designation, apart from the fact that the standard tonearm on the X was maybe different from the standard? ((Yet, that tonearm can also be fitted to the GT2000, so far as I can tell.) Why would the X be twice as expensive these days as the plain GT2000?  In photos, there are no obvious external differences between the two models, either.
The only differences between the GT2000 and GT2000X are that the latter had brown veneering, bigger plinth, bigger motor shaft, and better tonearm (sold as an option on GT2000 as YSA-2). The bigger plinth & bigger shaft cannot be installed later on the GT2000.

The only differences between GT2000 and GT2000L are that the latter had the automatic arm lifter at the end of the record (optional on GT2000 as YAL-1) and brown veneering (black on GT2000).

Like Theophile said, the 18 kg platter worked with all three models: GT2000, GT2000L, and GT2000X, though undoubtedly the bigger shaft on GT2000X had benefits.