High mass vs Low Mass Turntables - Sound difference?

As I am recently back playing with analog gear after some 15 years away, I thought I would ask the long time experts here about the two major camps of record players -- high vs low mass-loaded-type tables...

For example, an equivalently priced VPI table (say a Classic, Aries or Prime) versus a Rega RP8/10 or equivalent Funk Firm table...  the design philosophies are so different ... one built like a tank, the other like a lightweight sports car...

Just wondering if the folks here have had direct experience with such or similar tables, and what have been your experiences and sense of strengths and weaknesses of these two different types of tables.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
analogluvr
My only beef with it is that it does not keep consistent azimuth  across the record.
It doesn't? How do you know this? If you're correct, it sounds like a seriously defective design or sample. Details, please.

Long ago I owned a WTTT and arm.  To my dismay I found if I checked the tracking force, returned the arm to its rest, then moved it back to the scale I would not get the same VTF two times in succession.  That was with the factory supplied silicone in the cup.
Instability of the azimuth setting is precisely what turned me against the WT tonearm.  My long time friend had a WT Reference.  The tonearm could be seen to "roll" from right to left, changing azimuth all across the surface of an LP.  I like to think this design flaw has been corrected in more recent versions of WT, like in the Amadeus, but I have never operated an Amadeus.  I do know it is much loved. But that's one of the first things one expects of a tonearm; hold the settings stable.  It's like saying you have a great turntable, except it doesn't hold speed.