Yamaha GT 2000 vs new SL Need advice.

I've done a lot of research and listening. Normally I wouldn't have any doubts but my favorite vintage table is so rare here in the US I haven't been able to hear it.  The reading I've been doing for what I hope will be my last turntable purchase has convinced me that the choice is between the GT and the new SL. 

Is that crazy?  Is a fully serviced GT as good or better than a new SL 1200 G or is the new technology on the SL the winner?

mannye
Is the new Technics SL1200G in the same league or better than the SP10 Mk2 ? Normally the GT-2000 is pitched against the SP10.
I’ve only owned the Mk2, and I’ve compared it on the same system to a Mk3 and a Denon DP80. To my ears, the Mk3 was a very clear winner vs the other two, and the DP80 nosed out the SP10 MK2. I’ve since acquired experience with two more DD’s, These use coreless motors, the L07D and the TT101. In this respect and in others related to the design goals of their servo systems, platter mass, plinth, etc, these two are different from the first 3 I mention. The L07D and the TT101 seem to challenge the MK3, but they are not better. However, I would and do take either over the DP80 and the MK2. Therefore, I am tending to favor coreless motors, all other things being nearly equal. (The Mk3 has other features that raise up its performance uber alles.) On this basis, I would guess that SL1200G might outperform SP10 Mk2 but not necessarily the GT2000 (1200G and GT2000 do have coreless motors); I would want to audition that comparison for myself.
In the value arena as I search around, the cost for both the 1200G and the GT2000 may not end up being all that different.

Unless I can find one here in the states, which is unlikely because you practically have to inherit one , the shipping from Japan is upwards of $500. Then àdd to that the refurbishing cost and we will be pretty close to the price of a 1200G.

However. In a few years the 1200 will be selling used for much less than a fully restored 2000 which, if this vinyl revival continues, will IMO keep its value. Plus even if the finished GT has the same cost,  I would still have to spend more money on the SL for a cart.
What gives us audiophilia nervosa.  Have you located a GT2000 in Japan that is for sale?  One good thing in your favor is that the reputable Japanese dealers, either when you go there in person or on eBay, tend to be honest in representing their products. 

Paradoxical to the situation in the USA regarding GT2000s, they are all over the place in Tokyo.  It was evidently a very successful model for Yamaha, back in the day, in that market.  It's much easier to find a GT2000 in Tokyo than to find an SP10, even.  Try "Hifido English", on line.  They very often have a nice one for sale which they will pack and ship to you. And don't buy any of the lesser models; the GT2000 or GT2000L is the way to go.