Placement tips for Synergistic Research HTFs

I just bought 15 HTFs and will also be making about a dozen of Ozzie's homemade models.  While I will re-fresh myself with SR's placement tips, and I get that I will have to do some experimenting to tailor the HFT effect to MY listening room; are there any "Advanced HFT Placement Tips" some of you would like to share with us?  Something that might be overlooked by many of us?  Or maybe, just a good rule-of-thumb tip for someone just starting to use these?
The tips could be tips for bring out more highs, solidifying the bass response, placement hi vs low, in front of vs behind speakers, on side walls, at reflection points, behind the listener, on the ceiling above the equipment or above the listener, on the equipment.
Any ah-ha that you would like to share?  I would also be very interested in hearing from people using Magnapans.

toolbox149
Sabai, Whoa! Dude! The doctor is in. Go ahead, let it all out. Remember to look within. And maybe look in a book while you’re at it. Wouldn’t kill you.

😛

Theaudiotweak

I have to back you up on your past statement of 05-16-2017 8:53am

"If you have placed devices on flat surfaces or walls and you are pleased with the outcome you can take this whole thing to a higher level by removing adhesive damping materials and attaching your device right to the wall or other surface. You can do this with the aid of a threaded insert placed directly into the wall and your device also threaded screwed into the wall. You can now adjust the resonance point on the wall by ever so slightly adjusting the tension of your device to the wall or surface. 1/16 of a turn can be clearly discerned..or even much less depending on the surface."

I had a very similar expirience with the very first resonators I built. They were quite complicated to build and I didn’t go any further in developing them because they were too much work to put together. Basically, they had a very small nail holding a cone to a small wooden cap. The nail protruded through the bottom of the wooden cap, so I just pushed the nail into my drywall wherever I wanted to place a resonator. The nail held the cone and cap firmly against the wall, but I didn’t have control of the tightness like I would have had with your screw suggestion.

I did notice that when held tight against the wall with no adhesive, the effect was quite pronounced. In my case - too pronounced. Ultimately, I decided I didn’t want any resonators on any of my walls. I only want to get a small tweek out of these things, but someone looking a more dramatic addition to their sound should give them a try. If you already have some cones all you need is a few small screws.  I tried sticking up cones with no bases as an experiment but I used Blu Tack to place them.  Screwing cones directly onto a wall might be well worth the effort.

Unfortunately,  I'm really happy with my setup of resonators and I've settled into listening to music rather than playing around with my system.  I guess someone else will have to take up the torch on this one.

Good idea!  Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I was a little busy.

Thanks,
Toolbox

@geoffkait my questions weren’t snarky. Those are actual questions I have. My statement that I won’t get straight answers is based on my past interactions with you and was meant to be playful, not critical.

Toolbox - yeah, that link didn’t work for me either. For my heavier resonators, I’ve been using a similar brass cap that is shorter. That way there depth of the resonators is similar and the only difference is the base. I posted a pic of the heavier resonator on my system page.

@ozzy I tried a couple on top of the speakers and gave it a quick, non critical listen last night. Initial impressions are favorable!
05-18-2017 9:26am
@geoffkait my questions weren’t snarky. Those are actual questions I have. My statement that I won’t get straight answers is based on my past interactions with you and was meant to be playful, not critical.

Actual questions? Won’t get straight answers? Past interactions? Huh? Are you high? I just answered all your actual questions in the link I provided and you come back with a load of horse manure. 

geoffkait,

As your past history on the forum shows, you try to save face by gliding past the content of my post with a glib response. Same old.

I note that toddverrone has accurately observed that "My statement that I won’t get straight answers is based on my past interactions with you ...".

To which you respond with a typical geoffkait insult about "a load of horse manure" instead of offering a straight answer. We can add this to to your list of favorite forum insults that include knuckleheads, nerds, grasshoppers and little old ladies, among others.

Business must be slow this week. But I’m sure those pebble orders will come rolling in once folks get to read your latest gems on the forum. Keep it up geoffkait. You’re doing great.

Have a nice day, dude.  Lol.