Any news about new DD/DTS upgrade on HDDVD?

Wondering if anyone's heard anything regarding potential release of new pre's or even receivers that will be able to handle/decode the new "propossed" higher rez DD/DTS material to be supposedly released on the new HD DVD/Blue-ray discs?
flrnlamb
WHAT A BUNCH OF BONE HEADS!!!!!!!....lol. Amazing. Gread and more gread seems to be one of the root cause to a lot of this. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaatever. Yeah, I don't doubt you'll see the new players lag in sales greatly for the next couple of years.
My only comment is that the Hi Def DVDs being released are supposed to have Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 also as options and they should sound the same as SD dvd soundtracks.

I have never had a complaint about the quality of current DVD soundtracks and really find them pretty enjoyable.

I look forward to the day/year etc when HDMI 1.3 connects/chipsets are present on all devices,,,...until then I am just gonnan hang out a bit and enjoy what I have...
Rysa...the first titles don't have DTS, in any form, there supposed to play regular DD via analog...but this is actually DD+ which displays as DTS via coax or optical...confusing right?

Any way, I don't have an hdmi audio option , but managed to get DD+ via analog 5.1, and it does sound much better than regular DD/DTS,although its also a bit down on db,its no where near 15 db down, like when using coaxial and optical, and the problem seems to be on Warner movies only so far.

Something really ironic is the fact that everyone thought the Toshiba hd dvd players would playback DTS-HD, with there built in DTS-HD decoders....but they will never playback DTS -HD....but rather just core DTS.

I guess we all have to read the fine print on these new formats.
"Any way, I don't have an hdmi audio option , but managed to get DD+ via analog 5.1, and it does sound much better than regular DD/DTS,although its also a bit down on db" (Ears)

Ears, describe "much better" please! How so? Sounds to me like it's the same limitations connecting this way as before, only with perhaps more potential resolution. I've never gotten good results connecting to the analog out's of a dvd player, and playing DD/DTS! PCM 2 channel? Now that's another story entirely!
Flrnlamb, theres better resolution than double bit rate DTS as well as the higher bit rate DD available on some D-vhs tapes.
It almost sounds discrete for each channel with greater dynamics as well as cleaner sounding.
The reason you have to use analog or hdmi is because DD+ will not pass via analog or optical.
It does seem to be down a couple of db from the sd dvd versions...but plenty loud enough using analog.
The picture is pretty nice...but softer than the best d-vhs studio movies.
My advice is to try one from BB or some where with a return policy, and if you don't think its for you, bring it back.

If I end up bringing this one back, it will be because I am not interested in that many near future movie releases, most of which will also be on Blu Ray.

The biggest suprise for me has been the sd dvd playback, which is as good or better than all but the very best sd dvd players.

Anyone who trys one out should use 1080i only for the hd dvd movies....even if your display is 720p...and use analog 5.1 or hdmi for audio.