Tune of the Day

"Blue Rondo a la Turk"  on the Two Generations of Brubeck album.  Wow.

There are many fine versions of this tune, but this one gets me dancing, clapping, fist-pounding, whatever, every time....and it's not easy to dance in, what, 9/8?  I love tunes that grow, build, develop, and move through changes.  This one just picks me up and takes me right along with it.  Great melding of jazz and rock idioms, too.  It's fun to imagine Dave Brubeck setting the groove and then sitting back to hear where his kids and their friends take it. 

You can continue exploring Dave and the kids on Two Generations of Brubeck, "The Great Spirit Made Us All".  And Chris Brubeck's rock/jazz band Sky King on "Secret Sauce".

For extra credit, give a "spin" to Chase, "Bochawa" from their last album, Pure Music.

Anyway, that's my two cents today.

77jovian
thanks, ghosthouse. i also aspire to be verbose and obscure....
reubent, i'm not generally a country guy, but i'm a big steve earle fan--i'd put him squarely in my top 20 living songwriters. he's a self-proclaimed terrible singer (though i like his style), but he has a knack for two and three chord melodies that stick in your bgrain. plus his records almost always sound good, esp. his acoustic, which is very simple but always clean and etched. check out "i feel alright" and "gogo boots" if you haven't already.
Well L., you are failing miserably at the verbose and obscure.

This, for various reasons, struck me as brilliant (you posted it over on the What's in your CDP thread)...

"I think tweedy's a smart guy and a good writer, but i tend to respect wilco's craftsmanship rather than genuinely embrace its soul--there's an overly-clinical and cerebral quality to it, whereas farrar, albeit less musically ambitious, is all heart...."

ty, very kind words. i've always admired robert christgau's (ex-village voice) reviews--really concise and caustic. i  inevitably disagree with his musical tastes--he's a real snob who generally skewers anything populist or popular--but his writing's great. he once wrote about the guy from the lemonheads: "..a good looking guy with more luck than talent and more talent than brains." always stuck with me.
@loomisjohnson - This one's for you buddy.

Evan Dando of Lemonheads - "Frying Pan"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-yrX_CHWk

This is off of the most excellent tribute/charity album for Victoria Williams, called "Sweet Relief". If you don't have it, you're missing out on some GREAT tunes......
thanks ruebent--great cover. i can't find the album on spotify, but i think i have it on cassette somewhere and will dig it up. as payback, i'll recommend the pernice brothers, overcome by happiness--sorta big star melodicism crossed with brian wilson and really one of the best-written pop records of the 90s.