MMGs

A year ago, I bought a pair of MMGs.  In my 13x22 room, placement was a challenge but finally worked it out.

Speakers are powered by an Adcom GFA-555.  The only source is a CD player through a passive pre-amp.

Now I have a little more to spend and would like thoughts on the following options:

1) Mye stands for the MMGs

2) The DWM panel with the MMGs (secondary question - can this panel be placed on a side wall perpendicular to the MMGs?)

3) 1.7s

Open to other out-of-the-box suggestions as well.

The goal is always to attain that Magnepan soundstage.  Musical tastes are female vocalists, jazz, blues.
kythyn
kythyn,
I have had a pair of MMGs and one DWM in a 15 X 20 room with a vaulted ceiling for about 2 years. The panels are 2 feet out and 6 feet apart on the long wall.  150 watts has been plenty of power. I had a B&K 2140 for awhile and replaced it with a  Van Alstine Synergy 240 with the double die option about 6 months ago. Its a great sounding amp that has never run dangerously hot at reasonable sound levels. You can occasionally find used Van Alstine equipment at the usual online spots and the company website avahifi.com.
I went through a variety of small to big tweaks for the speakers. Adding weight to the feet with teak blocks and replacing the fuses mattered but not enough. I have to agree with chattaudio about the Gunn improvements. John very graciously shares his design with anyone willing to take on the project. Having finished mine a few months ago, I can honestly say it was well worth the effort. In part, the Gunn upgrade stiffens panel mounting. The Mye stands might make difference but never tried them.
 It has taken some time to find the right DWM placement. It seems best on the perpendicular wall just ahead of the MMGs. They add very little at low listening levels but start to bloom with some volume.
Another two cents,
Scott

I recently upgraded from MMG's to a pair of Spatial Audio Hologram M4's.
To me they have more of the good things I liked about the Maggies. I use a sub from Rythmik taking care of everything below 50hz.
I was curious about Maggies so I bought a used pair. I like them. Did the half razor mod on them. Seemed to tighten up the bass. I still have them.
I was intrigued about the open baffle thing. Spatial Audio seemed to be mentioned a lot. I bought a pair used off of this site. These are keepers. Easier to drive with a larger selection of affordable amps. Although I did use a few different amps with the Maggies and none of them broke a sweat. Even the 12 year old Integra AVR I keep as a backup.

To characterize the difference between the .7 and 1.7 I would have to first mention the increased size of the drivers themselves - you get a much larger radiating surface with the 1.7's, ergo, a "fuller" sound. To my ears the increased mid/low range response seemed to soften the highs somewhat, and I felt the soundstage/overall sonics were more detailed from the .7's. Again, a highly subjective impression but one from an individual who truly loves Maggies. 

Until I came across Thiel, Maggies were my reference point for loudspeakers in terms of sonics. The first time I played the MMG's I was quite literally astounded. $599 for a pair of speakers that sounded like THAT?  I was patting myself on the back for a good amount of time after that. On vocals and jazz they were/are truly exceptional, eclipsing my current Thiels in some respect. (CS 3.6)

Both of these brands have an undeserved reputation for being "power hungry" loads on amplifiers, but in my case it's been decades since I've listened to Led Zeppelin I at a level that would make my liver and other internal organs quiver. On the other hand, Thiel, like Maggies, "reveal" - they are as revealing of good electronics as they are to lesser ones, an aspect which often finds one on a quest to find amps/preamps to make them sound their best. 

Again, I suggested a REL sub to complement the .7's because I found the bass panel, and its connections, to be less than desirable sonically and esthetically.  I used a small 8" REL in my 14X24 room with a ceiling that slopes from 8 feet to 17 feet at the apex. My listening level is VERY conservative, and that setup fit the bill for a while.  However, becoming a member here a little while ago has inflicted me with a serious case of audiostupidiosity, an incurable malady many of us share, even revel in. 

I bought my MMG's new, direct from Magnepan. I bought a pair of MGIIIa's used from a gent 80 miles away, and my pair of .7's used from another gent in NYC, about 60 miles away. In my experience I find that peeps who own "good" stuff tend to care for it during ownership and I've yet to encounter an instance buying on Audiogon which could challenge that. 
In all the instances I picked them up personally. I'd have some reservation about having a Maggie shipped for obvious reasons. 

I believe the OP can find a very happy space with the addition of a good sub at a nominal increase in outlay. The MMG's are remarkably fine loudspeakers to begin with!

Adding a good sub is a great suggestion and a good place to start if you're liking what you hear from the MMG's. I have the high pass filter from HSU Reasearch. I can crossover at 50hz or 80hz. I chose 50 because that's where the MMG's roll off.
fr8dog, in most rooms you will do better at about a hundred or 120, but even 80 is better ,
mids , which is Maggies wheelhouse, sound better when bass has less work to do.
Try it, and try means at least a week . Month is better, brain needs time to adjust fully .
Fifty is when they drop off a cliff, been rolling off since 300  easy