FM alive and well here...curious question

SoCal listener here. 

Last night, the Classical station finished their listeners  top 100 with Ludwig B's 9th.
I got sucked in listening to the end of the 4th movement.  I can't remember what conductor/orchestra, but fantastic performance.

My Mac 71 with a $20 indoor antennae is able to get a  signal strength reading just over "8" with dead center tuning according the meter.

Ludwig B was sounding clear,quite and simply fabulous. 

Im aware a "real" roof antennae is the way to go. Wondering if the effort to get a "10" reading on the tuning meter will actually be heard as even better sonics?

Just for kicks, I spun a few minutes of a minty 59' Living Stereo to compare. 
WOW! The record naturally wins, but my beloved Mac isn't far off. Considering the broadcast was a CD, it was reasonably convincing. It certainly was just as good as my generic CD deck(no fancy outboard DAC)

My 71 is stock, tuned with NOS glass. I'd love to hand over $ 1K for the RM mod, but ain't gonna happen.

LONG LIVE FM! Hopefully?

tablejockey
"In a word: No. It's not even close."

cleeds-
"good sound" of course is subjective, but I can't imagine anything beyond lofi, if one doesn't have a decent soundcard in their pc?

A reasonably fast, clean internet connection is commonplace now, but a standard pc typically has a mini jack audio out, so clearly one needs to invest in additional hardware? 

I have limited knowledge on this subject of "online broadcast" and it's potential plugging it into a stereo rig.

If you are fortunate to live in an area with signals, seems a tuner is still a good thing for passive listening. Our public stations aren't the greatest to everyone, 
but I certainly enjoy them. The commercial rock stations-well, garbage for the most part, but a few bright spots if you look for them-anyone listen to Steve Jones(former Sex Pistol) 2 hour program? Fantastic, almost a throwback to a 70's listening experience. Once in awhile, a really cool musician from the 60s/70's chatting with Steve, sharing insight about the "scene" I missed being born a decade or so too late.

I (being an audiophile) A/B'd the sound in my car (a factory installed Burmeister system) comparing FM to Sirius.......FM is significantly better on the classic music station (KBACH) here in Arizona, and better too on any station.
Stringreen- I too have always heard a sonic difference between "subscription" radio vs "over the air" 

Clearly, the options kill FM.

This topic of FM listening  reminds me of
TV viewing.I don't have cable, and over the air broadcast still has a superior picture quality over cable.

Oh well, to each his own.  I'd be more alarmed not being able to listen at all!
@tablejockey - for easy internet radio at a low cost, simply connect your computer to an inexpensive USB DAC, or a multi-input DAC that has a USB connection. Easy-Peasy and you open yourself up to a WORLD of new radio stations. The DAC will connect via RCA outputs into your audio system.

Try Radio Paradise sometime. It's great internet radio station. Listener supported, so no commercials. Eclectic mix of rock, indie, blues, electronica and a little classical at times. I love it and listen to it regularly. You can just listen to it on your computer, tablet or smart phone just to get a taste of the music they play.

BTW, I'm listening to Radio Paradise as I type this reply. Currently listening via an iPod connected to a NuForce iDo (Bit Perfect) into my Rega Saturn-R CD player/DAC -> Rega Elicit-R Integrated amp. Sounds really good. Shockingly good sometimes.
ruebent-
I forgot about the USB port!

If I get the bug for something different, I will go DAC shopping and get with the times.