Too Many Forums asking about how to improve ones system, etc.

I have been reading so many forum posts lately that are asking for advice on improving ones system.  They ask about amps, preamps, speakers, cables, etc., but the person asking for information does not state what improvements they are looking for.  Recently one person said he did not hear a difference with a particular product but others did.  Well that seems useless to me as I don't know what the other people were hearing with a product that I am familiar with to know how to provide advice.  There are many ways to improve ones system but we need more information to narrow down the advice otherwise you will get too many suggestions from cabling to amps, preamps, etc.  You can improve a component by replacing a few resistors but each of those has a sound so I cannot recommend something if I don't know what exactly you are looking to improve.

Thoughts????
bigkidz

That's because there is no standard terminology. Even in the ridiculousness of wine tasting there are charts to describe the flavors, but audio has vague terms like veiled, dark, crisp, shrill, dynamic, boomy. The inexperienced don't know any of this or what it means. And the experienced just take a guess.

When I was TV shopping I could say about Panasonics "the greens aren't realistic" and people would easily know what I was talking about. Audio needs to be defined the same way. For instance, "male voices sound chesty" to account for a particular flaw at a particular frequency in speaker design.

As far as electronics, cabling and whatnot, well having been through blind tests, I don't believe there is a difference in sound (given the standard spiel about used within specifications), so I can't help you there. I just refer them to Roger Russell's chart for speaker cables and stay out of the other debates.
I am not saying there are dumb questions only that they are usually not specific enough to really help someone.  I guess I personally are a little more advanced than most people are since I live in an area that I can go to multiple audio clubs to gain experience, gain knowledge form people more experienced than I am, get equipment from other people to hear in my system, etc.  I jumped the gun in thinking most Audiogon members had a specific level of experience but no I think that I was completely wrong in my thought process.  So to correct myself, keep the questions coming and I will do my best to understand the questions and make helpful recommendations / suggestions.

Happy Listening.
The point you make about being able to listen to other systems and other components in your own system is the key to understanding a upgrade path . I recently heard a system using distributed bass . I hooked up 4 subs in my room all I can say is wow now I have even bass response . If I had not heard it at another audiophiles home I would not have followed this upgrade path .
I suppose as an 'experienced' audiophile (and one who does not "guess" at what audio descriptors mean), I'd say that the biggest impediment to improving one's system is not the lack of good advice, there is plenty of it in these pages, nor is it a lack of vocabulary (the late J. Gordon Holt supplied an excellent basis for that decades ago...strange how newbies seem to complain about a lack of vocab, yet don't want to take the time to try and learn an existing one because it's apparently too hard??...really??...how do you expect to understand what you read?). But I'd say the biggest impediment is simply that the uninitiated are too hesitant to just jump in and get their feet wet and Try something based on that advice. The true complexity of this hobby is not to be underestimated and in it no ground can be gained without at least **some** amount of the direct experience of simple trial and error. Without any of that, relying on the sum total of theory and advice essentially becomes either useless or errant. Having been down this road before, I can tell you it's not advice that really make this hobby go round, it's experience, and there's generally only one way to get that.

Practically speaking, advice and recommendations can be very useful, of course, but can only take you so far. To answer the rest of your questions and settle remaining doubts, you will invariably reach the point where you must try something for yourself. Yes, that may cost you some bucks, large or small, but it takes a while for All of us to begin to feel confident about finding our way around in such a convoluted hobby. It took me 2 to 3 decades and that I suspect is typical.

Just remember to learn Everything you can from your mistakes...and that as you move forward in the hobby that those mistakes Will be inevitable, and that they are in fact a necessary part of the process. All the while, you are sharpening your audio instincts...instincts that, yes, may lead you to another mistake, but then that is the true nature of the beast, that's really how we learn and grow. The more practiced you are at it, the more reliable your audio instincts become. If I'm more confident now about my own instincts these days, I can tell you it's because I have the scars to back it up, lol!

But, that said, pure experience would not seem to be the best choice either; just randomly box swapping until there's a "eureka" may not be quite rational. But, either way, I'm saying that if you can't learn from your mistakes in this hobby, you may well end up paying for the same real estate many times over, and may God help you then, because IMO you will likely indeed have an even More expensive row to hoe from here on! If you think making the occasional buying mistake is an expensive proposition, just consider the alternatives!

Best of luck to all,
John
Bigkidz -  I don't normally chime in on these sorts of threads but have to say that at any given moment I know exactly what the weakest points are in my system because I can hear them.  At the end of the day, the most important part of any system will always be your ears, your brain, and your experience.

I totally agree that I find it strange that someone comes on here and says "I have this" and "I want that" - It's all very subjective but if you don't have the ears or brain for it I don't get why some people chime in with "buy x" or "buy Y" - I just ignore it.  If I didn't I'd probably own a pair of KEF LS50s, Tekton double impacts or some silly ART09 cartridge, none of which would make me happy.

That said, I'm totally on board with Chayro and other posters above and I also live in NYC so maybe we should set up an impromptu GTG?

Nice post BTW

Greg