Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
@dgarretson

I’m not so sure about that. I removed the stock switch box from under my PD444 and substituted a thick, dense wenge wood subplinth that projects forward as a subplinth for a third tonearm mounted to a Micro Seiki brass tonearm board. The big surprise is that SQ was improved for the other two arms mounted to the stock tracks. The subplinth must be acting as a sink for vibration.

I know some people replaced stock feets, but for me LUX 444 works fine in stock condition, i like it better than my SP10mk2. I wouldn’t add 3rd tonearm as i have two LUX PD444, so already 4 tonearms :) However, i’d love to replace side pannels usign some nice wood.

Do you have a picture of your modified 444 ? 

There are a couple of photos of the modded PD444 on my system page:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/702#&gid=1&pid=2

I replaced the stock feet with machined brass towers and Stillpoints Ultra 5s-- with a fifth U5 under the motor housing.  My 444 came to me with one foot missing-- in all honesty I never heard it with the stock elastomer footers.  I do love this table, and put it at the same level as my L07D.  I also substituted a 4mm TT Weights copper platter mat for the stock rubber mat on the 444.  That was an improvement. 

audiolabyrinth, The cartridge to which you refer could be that Ortofon mentioned by Chakster (I think) or it could also be an Acutex LPM series.  Pickering made some cartridges that resemble the nose of the Concorde, as well.  I suppose many other companies did, too.  For a while, that was a popular shape.  Can you post a photo?
@audiolabyrinth 

I had the veneer done and serviced at the same time. New caps and new damper oil and a few parts. The main components like the direct drive are super reliable. Being a manual table there is not much that can go wrong. 

I use a Denon DL 110