Tuner tragedy!

Curious question....

My beloved daily driver-66' Mac MR71 has suffered a tuner dial cable break!

Living in SoCal, I do have some repair options:George Meyer in LA and perhaps others.

Is restringing dial an absolute take it to the shop repair? Is there any online reference for a do it yourself job? I realize we, analog tuna guys are now a  dying minority!

Im now forced to listen to my $200 Cambridge Audio 550T. Its not bad, but it ain't the Mac!
I do like the remote and RDS display.

I know my ears will adjust in a few days, but I miss the almost real sound of the human voice/instruments and warmth only 13 tubes can provide. Amazing comparing the guts of the 25 pound Mac filled with components, with the 3 pound,1 board, made in China box.

tablejockey
Sorry about your tuner but don't despair; it's actually a straight forward DIY fix that I've done before a few times.  

The easiest solution (which might sound crazy) is if you can, simply superglue the ends of the broken string together and then refit it.  The only challenging part is to get the tuner display to match up with the frequency that's tuned in, but in most cases, the display indicator, being attached directly to the string via friction, can be adjusted easily.

If the old cable is shot and that won't work... Dental floss.

:)

Greg
"The easiest solution (which might sound crazy) is if you can, simply superglue the ends of the broken string together and then refit it."

Greg-
that sounds like something out of the the playbook-"what would Mcgyver do?"

Im gonna open it and assess damage. If your suggestion looks doable, I’ve got a fresh tube in the handy drawer, along with the duct tape.

Thanks for the insight. 

Im guessing the cable is original, do you know what material  is used? I will also consider the dental floss-unwaxed, I presume.