Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
@jp
very interesting the brochure, on the internet I had never found anything about it.

@downunder 
the arm collects the best EPA 100 and 500 but I believe it is limited to a narrow range of cartridges.
The TP4 cartridges have never reached the great quality and musicality of the traditional MM and MC cartridges and it is for this reason that it is limiting in choice, that you have supplied is a very good cartridge but
your turntable deserves the best for the cartridges.

@best-groove

I bought the SL1000Mk3 so I could put a Thales Simplicity II and Lyra Atlas on it from my TW table and this should raise the playback level a few notches. This will come in time.

the tonearm was a freebie that I am enjoying, as previously my EPC-P100C-MK4 was residing in an adaptor. The EPC-P100C-MK4 is as good as my Dynavector XV-1s so it is a great cartridge.
There is very little lacking with the sound I am getting so far.

There is one thing that sucks about this table - the turntable dust cover does not open high enough and acoustic transparent it is not, unlike the Exclusive P3 glass dust cover. The cover will stay off most of the time now.

regards

ohh yes yes ..the P100 C mk4 is a great cartridge I know this very well, even your stylus or stylus and cantilever VDH, but you possessed a large cartridges park as many fans have this would be very frustrating not being able to play with everything.

For the dust cover I think there are screws in the hinges to adjust the inclination, try to see if I'm right.
There is only one turntable in Technics catalog released in unique wrinkle black finish (special surface treatment of the aluminum die-casting) is Technics SP-20 from 1976. In 1982 their top of the line EPA-100mk2 tonearm was released also in black finish (boron armtube). The EPC-100c mk4 cartridge is also black. If anyone would like to combine all together i'm selling my spare Technics SP-20 here. It's interesting to see the same policy of product placement "in black" from another manufacturers like Fidelity-Research. FR top of the line cartridges are black (f and fz), second versions of the FR tonearms are also black (fx), same with Technics. But silver or champagne color of FR-7 or Technics EPC-100c mk3 are more attractive. I think the EPA-100 is more attractive looking than mk2. But the wrinkle black finish of the Technics SP-20 turntable looks amazing, sad that no other models were finished like that. I think it's beautiful. 
Shane, I would take the dust cover and put it into storage.  You don't want a dust cover anywhere in or on or over your turntable when it's in use.  I thought every vinylphile agreed with that principle. Of course, you could always place it over the plinth when the Mk3 is not in use. Otherwise, those heavy lucite covers are bad karma, in my opinion.