Turn table for my kid???

My daughter just told me she wants a turn table. That thought really excites me because I hope she eventually loves music as much as I do.  Additionally, I've been thinking of getting into vinyl myself but haven't for fear of the money pit it will become like the rest of my audio endeavors.

So it looks like I can start this journey together with my kid.  Cool.  My question then is what's a good entry level tt?  I assume I will need to get a phono pre, etc?  I would much prefer one that is as self contained as possible.  Ideally I would be able to just connect some speakers to it or connect it directly into my integrated amp. Please take it easy on a vinyl noob.

Thank you and happy new year!
128x128tboooe
My son wanted a turntable this Christmas and, fortunately gave me plenty of notice.  I eventually found an audiophile used Technics SL-1200 MK II on eBay for $599 and added an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.  The combination sounds great together and there are plenty of parts and mods available for this TT in the future if it breaks or he wants to upgrade.

@fastdart69 Well done, perfect choice! If he wants to learn about upgrade path and cheap tweaks etc. have him read the Techiepedia forum on theartofsound British website. A big 1200-loving crowd there with tons of experience. Cheers,
Spencer
Just to close the loop on this I ended up getting my kid a bundle that included the Audiotechnica LPS-120 and Klipsch R-15PM powered speakers.  I got it shipped for $499.  

We set it up last night and I must say my nerd side really enjoyed messing around with the force and anti skate settings!  I am going to fiddling around with my kid's TT for sure.

The sound was surprisingly good.  The Klipsch speakers sounded warm and pleasing which was all I expected.  The remote control and ability to play music from my kid's iphone via Bluetooth is a nice feature.  Last night I played an original pressing of Stan Getz "Focus" from 1961 and could not but help to enjoying the music.  

Thank you all for all your advice.  Now, I just need to fight the audiophile urge to get my own TT which will undoubtedly lead me down a very expensive rabbit hole!